New to Snorkeling

Singer4Him

DH and I are getting ready to go on our fifth cruise but we have never snorkeled...sad, I know! We've wanted to on several occasions but it just hasn't worked out. This cruise will be different. We've researched and purchased our equipment which should arrive a day or two before we leave. Having said all of this, would it be to our advantage to book a snorkeling excursion since we've never even tried it? I've looked at White Sands in Grand Turk and thought about booking both the shallow and the Wall but I'm just not sure. Any insight would be appreciated.

If I were you, I personally would try snorkeling for the first time off a beach. That way you can walk in and get a feel for snorkeling. Its inevitable that you will probably get water in your mask, and as a newbie, it just easier to clear it out if you can stand up (although huge rule for standing - stand on a sandy bottom and not the reef! You will damage a living thing.:))

Its usually recommended that you try out your gear in a pool before you leave, but you said you are getting your gear right before you leave. That being said, you could still try on the snorkel and get a feel for breathing through it in your bathtub. :D Its a completely different feeling and some people panic because they feel they aren't getting enough air.

But if you are comfortable in the water and don't get nervous, then go ahead and try a boat excursion. The staff will always help you as first timers, and you will be required to wear a safety vest.

One tip to remember if your mask does leak - don't try to keep tightening it. Sometimes it will leak because it is too tight, and the seal around your face gets warped.

Enjoy - its fabulous!