Hotel Recommendation for BA

HotlantaCruiser

Have booked Oceania for BA - RIO next year, and need recommendation on hotel in BA. Specifically, either of the 2 Shertaon properties. Have read numerous reviews on the Mariott (which Oceania appears to use for their pre-cruise package).

However, I need info on either Sheraton. Proximity to port, shopping, etc.

Can any of my fellow CC'ers help?

Thanks!

The Liberatador is right in the middle of the best shopping in BA and less than a ten minute taxi ride to the port and cabs in BA are very cheap. This taxi ride will probably be less than $5. The other larger Sheraton is not as well located in proximity to the shopping areas, it is more of a large convention type of hotel. BA is an incredible city, if you can, plan a few days there before your cruise, I did. In addition a side trip to Iguazzu Falls is NOT TO BE MISSED. We flew up to the falls a spent two nights, unforgetable, probably the most spectacular water falls in the world, IMHO

Happy sailing,

Doug

Doug,

thanks for the advice. We are doing 4 days in BA prior to 12 day cruise. Falls are a thought, although the cruise provides a jumping off tour for either a day or an overnight (seems silly to waist a cruise night off the ship, but I know the falls are incredible).

So if I read you right, the Liberatodor Sheraton is the better choice, right?

i was in BA once for business, but it was a blur, and I do know that the city is huge. Thus the scramble to find the "right" hotel.

Thanks, Merci, y Gracias!

I can tell you from our experience in BA in Jan. 2005 when we stayed at the Four Seasons pre cruise and Marriott post cruise. The FS is beautiful and service is fabulous, got a great rate at $250 per night including breakfast. It's located near the Bullrich shopping mall. If you book there try to get a room to the back of the hotel, the front is right by a highway.

The Marriott is great for location and we were also happy with the hotel. It's at the end of Avenida Florida (a pedestrian street filled with shops that also includes the great Galerias Pacifica Mall). Take only radio taxis in BA and you will be fine, they are so cheap it's incredible.

We used the ship hotel package and stayed at the Mariott. It is a lovely hotel in fantastic location ( all the stores are right there ( lots of leather factories).

had checked prices and probably could have saved a bit by booking online ( w/out ship) by using, Marriott club, AAA discount or some type of discount, but wasn't that big of a difference.

We were upgraded to a huge suite when we checked in ( have no idea why) and included a wonderful buffet breakfast.

The hospitality desk was there if you needed any info ( for tours or anything- so if you are doing any pre-ship touring that might be a consideration).

Hi again Claudia,

We always seem to agree on our posts on this board. We also stayed at the Marriott and loved the location. We used Marriott points so it saved a lot of money -- three nights at $200 per night. We also stayed there after our cruise and they held our bags until our return from the Falls. When we were in B.A. the last time in 2004, the doorman put us into a cab to the airport with a little sheet of paper in case we were unhappy with the taxi driver. I thought afterwards, "What would that piece of paper do for us if we were kidnapped and robbed?" I guess the approved taxis don't want any problems with the hotels and our driver took us right to the airport without any problems or in a round-about manner. Be very careful about walking around with jewelry, one of the passengers on our cruise had his Rolex taken off his wrist without his knowing. He was warned and thought better of it.

sheila

Hi Shoshana,

Yes, we seem to agree on alot of things- great minds ;-)

Re: taking expensive jewelry.. to all of you going.. take the warning.. there is alot of crime in beautiful South America. Alot of folks wore really flashy jewelry while out "shopping" and many got mugged.

Even a couple of the gal crew members got mugged right at the docks, just for their backpacks.. so be careful.. leave everything you don't need to take at home.

Guys do not carry wallets in your back pant pockets, ladies don't bring huge purses. Just be careful and have a great time.:D

Not worth a trip to hospital on your vacation.

Last Jan. at the end of our Insignia cruise we stayed at the Park Tower which is beside the huge Sheraton. It, too, is a Starwood Hotel, but is a member of their Luxury Hotel section. The public areas, room and service were wonderful. We were able to walk to FL Street.

Even though we veered off from the orig request, I got what I was looking for.

Thanks all.

Now to plan for 4 nights in BA, and 3 nights in RIO during Carnival!

Here are some observations from my Jan. trip/cruise to South America -

Don't be surprised in BA when you see cars at night driven without headlights on! Only take RADIO TAXIS, we were even warned about that at the Four Seasons.

Rio shops are closed during Carneval, only places open are supermarkets, drugstores, restaurants and jewelry shops.

Be careful walking around Rio especially in the evening and extremely careful if you go to one of the Carneval nights at the stadium - it's a fabulous experience as long as you go safely.

Rio is visually a gorgeous city! Have a great trip!

I'm very familiar with that as I lived in Colombia. Same thing, I never stopped for red lights after dark.

As for the Carnival nights at the Sambadrome, is it just asking for trouble to go without a tour group? Can't imagine NOT going to the Sambadrome for one of the evenings, bue don't want to walk into a massacre either.

Not the flashy jewelry type, and know how to act in a foreign country to keep a low profile, but again, don't want to go where there will definitely be trouble.

I was in Buenos Aires for a week late last year, and stayed at the NH Jousten. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for something less expensiive that Marriott/Sheraton/Four Season. It is currently $90 per night via Expedia. Actually, I thoougt it was just as nice as the Sheraton and Marriott (we were in lobbies of both). It's in a good location (about a ten minute walk from the Marriott), close to shopping and the Puerto Madero area.

Archived