Satellite Radio Reception in the Caribbean

mariakitty

My husband and I love our XM radio and we have a "boom box" attachment that has speakers and an AC adapter so we can listen in the house, outside, etc. Has anyone tried using their XM radio aboard ship? It would be lovely on our balcony, but we don't want to pack the boom box if there won't be any reception.

Thanks!

Maria

I'm addicted to XM Radio as well; I've forgotten what commercials sound like! Unfortunately I've not tried this and can't answer your question. Officially they will tell you the signal covers only the Continental United States. Of course the U.S. mainland is not a complete rectangle so the coverage area is wider. You can listen over the border in Canada and Mexico.....but how far I don't know. I suspect on a Bahamas cruise you can get the signal. But I'm doubtful that you can get reception in Puerto Rico and beyond.

BobK/Orlando

recently off: Sea Princess

up next:

Sovereign of the Seas (10/05)

Costa Mediterranea (01/06)

Here's a discussion of it

http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php?action=vthread&forum=7&topic=202

The short version is that XM will most likely have a strong enough signal down to a bit south of the Bahamas but it's iffy beyond that and most likely won't work. Sirius has a different pattern for its satellite coverage and is reported as working well down as far as Grenada and Nevis but with a few outages late at night.

I agree with Baxter, it would NOT be "lovely" for your neighbors on THEIR balconies! :mad:

Radios are fine in the privacy of one's own home, car, or cabin, but the rest of the world doesn't necessarily want to listen to what you're listening to.

Not sure of the XM boombox radio... but using my Sirius system I just take a small walkman style radio with the in ear 'bud' headphones, and use the transmitter built in to my Sirius Sportster to transmit to the walkman.

Gives me great sound quality within about a 50 ft. or so radius, and doesn't bother anyone else.

(Side note I do the same thing when the wife and I take trips via our car. I listen to my sports via headphones, while she listens to her Christian Cd's in the car stereo <g>).

Don't worry, we would never listen to our radio so loud that anyone else could hear, as I too would find that VERY irritating!!! However I would rather listen to someone's music rather than hearing their tv through the walls of the cabin. Now THAT is irritating!

Archived