St. Sebastian Festival - quick ? regarding cab leaving OSJ on Saturday

JohnBoy in NC

Hi

I know it is early - but I am on the Jan 2016 Summit and we leave on the potential dates of St. Sebastian Festival (on purpose). I have read through the threads on the festival/hotels/traffic/noise etc. My wife has never been to San Juan and thought a pre-cruise stay in OSJ--and during the festival---will be over the top. :)

From Aviator of the Seas post on this forum last year:

Traffic - Vehicular traffic into San Juan islet will be closed at the bridge approaches to the old city at 6:00 PM Thursday and Friday and at 12:00 noon Saturday and Sunday.

The only exceptions will be tour buses, taxis, emergency vehicles, and Old San Juan residents. This means that everyone else will be turned around so there will be a massive traffic jam in all approaches to Old San Juan.

My question is - if I leave our hotel in OSJ at 11am on Saturday to get to the Pan Am pier - is this doable?...or is it "easy" to arrange a taxi to come into the city and pick us up/take us to the ship? Are there taxis all around during this time? I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect etc. and make appropriate arrangements. I heard the buses don't take luggage---only carry-ons.

THANKS in advance everyone.

John in NC

Yes you are correct that you can't take luggage on the busses. You will have no problem getting a taxi to pick you up at your hotel in OSJ and bringing you to the Pan Am Pier. The ride may take longer, but they will definetly come and get you. Do you have a hotel booked yet? It can be very difficult and expensive to get a hotel during festival. We have been there a few times during festival and it sure is fun! I would recommend staying in the Condado area and taking busses and taxis into OSJ for the festival.

Have Fun!

Yes you are correct that you can't take luggage on the busses. You will have no problem getting a taxi to pick you up at your hotel in OSJ and bringing you to the Pan Am Pier. The ride may take longer, but they will definetly come and get you. Do you have a hotel booked yet? It can be very difficult and expensive to get a hotel during festival. We have been there a few times during festival and it sure is fun! I would recommend staying in the Condado area and taking busses and taxis into OSJ for the festival.

Have Fun!

THANKS for the information..and feedback. I plan on booking when first available....later this year since still over a year out. I am also looking at private residences/rooms. Glad to hear you had fun....I am excited but don't want to be too overwhelmed...but heard it is a great experience. :)

John in NC