What to wear in Greece

My search didn't yield a crisp answer to "what to wear?" My wife wants to know if walking or bermuda shorts are appropriate for daytime excursions on the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes). We assume they are not appropriate for Istanbul, Athens or Kusadasi. We are on Sept. 5 Galaxy.

Thanks.

When we were on the Grand Princess in June, I'd say the majority of passengers wore shorts in ports. Everything we read ahead of time said shorts weren't appropriate, but nobody seemed to have any trouble (churches aside) wearing shorts. Wear what makes you comfortable.

Shorts are appropriate everywhere except where you will be going into a mosque (like Istanbul) or a church. On our Eastern Med Galaxy itinerary, I think the only two ports I couldn't wear shorts were Istanbul (men can't wear them there either) and Rome on our pre-cruise tour of the Vatican. It is very hot in Athens, so I would definitely suggest them there.

Hi MJ... I didn't wear shorts, however I did wear a short skirt..MJ If you recall, I had to put a lond skirt over the short one to enter the Mosques. I suggest that women cover their shoulder AND knees! Have fun!

Karen

Hi MJ & Karen good to see you around here. Thinking about making a full review once I get time off my backlog of work. BTW Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your experience in Turkey, we had some hicups there but nothing compared to your adventure.

Anyway back to the topic,

For the visit to the mosque my DW wore long skirt and t-shirt with sleeves. The rest of the ports, including the second day in Istanbul with visit to Tokapi, she wore the usual summer/tourist kit.

As you say, I saw that at the mosque they were giving long pieces of cloth for both women and men who were not properly covered.

My search didn't yield a crisp answer to "what to wear?" My wife wants to know if walking or bermuda shorts are appropriate for daytime excursions on the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes). We assume they are not appropriate for Istanbul, Athens or Kusadasi. We are on Sept. 5 Galaxy.

Thanks.

Please use the Fashion section.You will get more feedback

John

Hey there, BobinAustin. Looks like there will be quite a few CruiseCritics on that sailing. Check out the Roll Call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157957

and sign up for the Cruise critic "Celebrity Connections" party (directions in http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=202474).

22 days to go!

We wore shorts throughout Greece (Athens, Mykonos and Santorini) and mirrored most of the other tourists. The only time we wore longer pants was in Rome and Florence where we knew we would be entering churches and knees and shoulders had to be covered.

Archived