The Bob Marley Zion Experience - Any reviews

lrovnan

here's what I found on a site....

The authentic Jamaican Country Bus, the “Zion Bus Line,” will take you on a unique tour from shipside in Ocho Rios, via Claremont to the Birthplace and final resting place of the King of Reggae, Bob Marley. This tour has been specifically designed for Reggae Enthusiasts and hardcore Bob Marley fans, who would like to visit the “Graceland” of Reggae.

The bus ride is a virtual tour of scenic, rural St. Ann. Rock to the rhythm of Bob’s greatest hits as your “dreadlock” driver negotiates the narrow winding country roads to the Mountain village of Nine Miles. Level the vibes with an IRIE Rum Punch and listen carefully as your “ductor” (guide) tells tales of the life and times of young Bob and how he grew up in the hills of St. Ann.

On the return trip via Higgin Town and St. Ann’s Bay, stop at the local Jerk Centre (where the crew like to eat) for an authentic Jamaican lunch treat of Jerk Pork & Chicken, Rice & Peas, Festival and “Belly Wash” Lemonade. After lunch, there is an optional drop off at Island Village Shopping and Entertainment Centre adjacent to the Cruise ship pier where you can visit: Reggae Xplosion (at an additional cost), Eight Rivers Slots, Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville, Duty Free Shops, or even just relax on the Beach before taking the short walk back to the ship.

I've not been to Jamaica, but hope to go soon. I have a friend who lives there and I'll ask him about it. If I get a response soon enough I'll post his answer.

Hello, I am a newbie to this board - I've never been on a cruise - my mother-in-law is going on Rhapsody of the Seas soon and I am just trying to find some tips for her, but I must say that after reading these boards I want to go on a cruise now too! I printed out the excursion brochure for her, and I did notice the Bob Marley Zion tour.

I have been to Jamaica many times, and last year my husband and I went on a trip to Nine Mile (same place the Bob Marley Zion Experience will take you). We were there for Sumfest, staying in Montego Bay, and hired a private tour company to take us there.

The country up there is very beautiful, and if your DH (what is DH?) (is there an acronym guide for newbies) loves Bob Marley, that makes it even more of a must-see. Both my husband and I are reggae fans, and we really enjoyed it, but I think I would have just loved it for the scenery even if I had never heard of Bob Marley!

Our tour guide was very friendly and informative, and told us the story of Bob's life as we were guided through the compound. Bob Marley's masoleum is there, and it was a very moving experience to go inside.

There is a snack bar there with an awesome view, and also a gift shop with more Bob Marley t-shirts than you even knew existed. They have "Nine Mile" t-shirts, which I think are really cool because you don't see those everywhere.

At no time did we feel the least bit unsafe. After the tour, we went to a small store across the road for some cold drinks (try a "Peenie Wallie" - it's a drink in a cold single-serving bottle that consists of peanut cream and overproof rum - delicious!), and enjoyed talking to some Jamaicans there.

I hope you enjoy it - we did!

Mary

I haven't taken the official cruise-ship sponsored tour, but when the wife and I were vacationing in Jamaica a few years ago we made the pilgrimage to Nine Miles. I can't imagine any reason why you'd feel unsafe. I'm more the fan than she is, and for it was a very moving experience to see his childhood home and actually enter the mausoleum. The guided tour provided many interesting details of his life. If you're a Bob Marley fan, it's a must-see. If you're not, you'll enjoy the beauty of inland Jamaica, both the scenery and the people.

Archived