Using a passport card versus a passport?

Gari

I was just curious about something as when I renewed my passport a couple years ago I picked up a card just for the heck of it. I am going to bring my regular passport anyway, but I was curious if someone could use just a passport card or DL and birth certificate for the southern caribbean

cruise out of San Juan? I'm guessing it's OK as it is a U.S. territory, but this topic just had me wondering.

And a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License may be used for the sailings from San Juan to Miami or other US city.

Why do you need a passport to sail from San Juan to a US city? Puerto Rico is a US territory and does not require a US passport to enter or leave if going to another US territory or the US mainland.

It's not a closed loop cruise if it's going to another US city, so birth certificate and drivers license won't work.

• 1 month later...

I will be cruising with a friend in 3 weeks and he just got the Passport Card. I wanted to make sure that's all he needs for a Bahamas cruise leaving and returning out of Charleston, SC. I know that my parents always bring their birth certificates when they cruise because all they ever have are enhanced driver's license.

I will be cruising with a friend in 3 weeks and he just got the Passport Card. I wanted to make sure that's all he needs for a Bahamas cruise leaving and returning out of Charleston, SC. I know that my parents always bring their birth certificates when they cruise because all they ever have are enhanced driver's license.

Your friend is good, no birth certificate needed. Your cruise is closed loop.

if you only carry your passport card with you on a cruise and you are injured while at port you will not be able to be air lifted out of that port.:eek: If you have your passport book you would be able to. :)

This is how it was explained to us when we bought our kids the passport cards.

You are partially correct. The passport card can not be used for international air travel, but if you are a US citizen, and being airlifted for medical, you will be allowed to return home, even without a passport of any kind. On the other hand, if you miss the ship, you will have a slight delay, and expense while they get you a temporary passport to travel home and clear you.

The passport card is great. I use it all the time. I never worry about getting back home!

You are partially correct. The passport card can not be used for international air travel, but if you are a US citizen, and being airlifted for medical, you will be allowed to return home, even without a passport of any kind. On the other hand, if you miss the ship, you will have a slight delay, and expense while they get you a temporary passport to travel home and clear you.

The passport card is great. I use it all the time. I never worry about getting back home!

I have to disagree with you. While on a land based vacation in Mexico one of our traveling companions had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery. While arranging a medi-flight home, His wife had to fax a copy of his passport before they would go any further. This was only 2 years ago, so unless something has changed you must provide your passport even for an emergency evacuation.

I have to disagree with you. While on a land based vacation in Mexico one of our traveling companions had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery. While arranging a medi-flight home, His wife had to fax a copy of his passport before they would go any further. This was only 2 years ago, so unless something has changed you must provide your passport even for an emergency evacuation.

So how did he get into Mexico without his passport? If it was land based he would have needed it to cross the border or to fly.

Sort of. If you are being airlifted off the ship by the Coast Guard they will do so regardless of citizenship status (and even take you to a US hospital if it's closest). If you are being medevac'd from one of the islands then you would need a passport or a document from the Consulate allowing you to fly without a passport (there are provisions in the regulations allowing the State Department to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons). If one has a passport card it would be easier for the State Department to verify the traveler's information so presumably might speed things up.

Why do your parents carry birth certificates when cruising with EDLs? An EDL eliminates the need for a passport card, passport, and/or bc on a closed loop cruise.