Question For Texas Born Cruisers

skyblue

My daughter has sent me the birth certificates for my grandchildren for our upcoming cruise and I have a question concerning them.

These certificates are from the office of the county clerk when they were born. They are marked Certification of Vital Record, with State of Texas, Name of County, Office of County Clerk. They have the County Court seal and State of Texas seal.

Are these considered birth certificates or am I going to have to send to Austin to get birth certificates?

Have any of you Texas cruisers used these for cruising?

At the top of my BC it says, "State of Texas", "Certificate of Birth", "Birth No. XXX-XX-XXXXX". There is a stamp above that that says, "Texas Department of Health Rec'd Mar 10 19XX Bureau of Vital Statistics". The raised seal is from the State of Texas, Dept of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics.

Our daughter has "State of Texas Certification of Vital Record" at the top. Both bottom corners have seals, one is for the The State of Texas and the right corner is the Texas Department of Health. It is VERY brief, Name, DOB, Father, Mother, Sex, FIle# & Date Filed, that's it. (Know my copy is one you get from Austin issued 8/99)

I am sure they very dramaticly depending on what year you received yours. My husbands birth certificate from WIsconsin is more like what you are discribing.

BonVoyage

Dawna

In Texas, the record of birth is the responsibility of the county. The state keeps a record, which is forwarded to them by the county of birth. One can obtain a certified, acceptable birth certificate from the state or the county. It is the same record - just looks a little different.

My DH was born in 1951. He had his original birth certificate (no raised seal). This was NOT acceptable. I researched our options and the fastest thing for him to do was to go to the county clerk's office and get a new copy. It looks just like what you have described and that was good enough for the passport office.

Don't worry - the ones you have are fine.

Thanks for the replies. I knew that mine from Oklahoma had to come from the state Department of Health. I just wasn't sure about the ones from the county in Texas. Glad to know that I won't have to be sending off to Austin.

Archived