Marquesas question for Ngaire

trinidad

I have heard the the PG's draft can cause somewhat rough sailing when in open seas. Did you ever experience this on your Marquesas cruise? We are booked for the Nov. 20 cruise and my husband can have an occasional problem with seasickness. Just want to come prepared.

Thanks

sun cruiser

Come prepared. My DH and I did the regular PG cruise and he gets moderate motion sickness if he tries to read while riding in a car or train. As long as he doesn't read he is OK. He got sick and needed dramamine the whole week. Next cruise, I'm bringing all the OTC stuff and asking his dr. for a prescription, too.

Colleen Farley

I second Colleen's reply. When we were on the PG several years ago, my husband and I had no problems, but we never have. Unfortunately, a gal we met onboard who had won the trip, spent most dinner hours in her room, quite ill. It spoiled the trip for both her and her husband. She had problems before but didn't plan ahead, so I think if you are so inclined, absolutely bring meds.

On our Marquesas trip it was not bad at all. The PG does not sail that well in open water and you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean but it should not be any rougher than it is around the Society Islands.

There is one port and I cant remember which one it is now but there is normally a rough tender ride into the island. It did not bother the PG but it was rough in the tender.

We had nice weather and only one night I can remember it being a little rough. Then again I never get sick so someone who was sensitive to motion sickness may have found it much rougher than I did.

I would always come prepared. Bring everything you think you might need. You can always take it home again. You may luck out and have calm waters.

The Marquesas is a unique experience and I am sure you will enjoy the beauty and remote location of these dramatic islands.

Archived