Upgrade at Check-in

DannyGreg

Many times at checking when flying I have been able to upgrade to 1st class if available for much reduced rate then if would have purchase when booked. Does Carnival do this with Balconies, has anyone tried before, if so how much? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many times at checking when flying I have been able to upgrade to 1st class if available for much reduced rate then if would have purchase when booked. Does Carnival do this with Balconies, has anyone tried before, if so how much? Thanks

your chances are EXTREMELY slim. I wont say its impossible but 99.999% of the time, the ship goes out full. if not, they will still tell you its sold out

I've read that Disney does this, but not Carnival.

With Carnival, your best bet is to monitor the prices in the last few weeks before sailing, and if you see a balcony at a price you like, then to call and upgrade then.

Or, sometimes the 'upsell fairy' will call, but may or may not be offering a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

your chances are EXTREMELY slim. I wont say its impossible but 99.999% of the time, the ship goes out full. if not, they will still tell you its sold out

No the ships do not always go out full. But the better rooms are sold out on the upgrade fairy's list and the rooms that go unfilled are the inside cabins.

I took a two week cruise 5 years ago (before kids) and got to know two bar servers really well. Although all ships are run differently, on this particular cruise they gave some of the staff unoccupied passenger cabins for the duration of the cruise as a reward for excellent feedback on customer cards. It was really coveted perk as the staff cabins are very cramped and they share 4 to a room. The server I got to know well won it for that cruise and was really happy since it was a 14 day cruise and she had an ocean view. It may be why in the unlikely event they don't sell by the sailing date, the cabins aren't available.

When I was on a B2B on the second embarkation they were paging people to guest services. I was one of them. They were upgrading the B2B people I went form a 1 A to a balcony for NO UPCHARGE.

This may be another reason the rooms are full.

• 2 weeks later...

They do leave some cabins open (just in case). Several years ago we were cruising with the whole family (16 people 8 cabins). One of the cabins (an inside) had issues with the A/C not working, the only way you could be in there was with the door opened. We complained about & maintenance could fix it, so they moved them into a balcony room.

[Q UOTE=MerMade;44101348]I work at Jax cruise port

The check in agents do not have access to reservations.

You would have to go to Guest services on board to check for an upgraded cabin.

Sounds good I will try that thanks