Prescription lenses in masks...

ShrtSwtDeb

My husband is a diver, I'm not. I do plan on snorkling on our cruise tho while he's diving. I have a problem tho. I can't see well without my glasses (or as my hubby says, I'm blind in 1 eye and can't see out of the other...).

My questions is, do any of you know of a way I can wear a mask - and still be able to see, without putting the money into a mask that has my prescription lens ground into them?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Deb

(first time cruiser)

CWC...

Thanks for the suggestion. My DH got contacts so he could dive - but I can't wear contacts and am not a candidate for the Lasik surgery. I should have said that in my first post -

I did have an idea, kinda corny though... but was thinking of taking an old pair of my lenses and having holes drilled in it - then having my eye doc make a plastic band around and at the bridge - to keep them on my face - that way the mask would still fit snuggly...but that may be a tad far-fetched...huh?

The guy at the dive shop said that was a clever thought, but he didn't think it would work - that's why I'm asking here - thought maybe someone else may have the same problems I do.

Deb

Hi Deb

My wife and I are scuba divers and snorkelers and we are both very nearsighted. Getting prescription masks was one of our best investments ever; they make every dive and every snorkeling trip SO much better.

You don't have to spend a lot of money. Check out the internet sites. I often use http://www.diversdiscount.com. Click on "masks" then click on "masks with lenses". You will see decent masks there for around $50 and a pair of lenses for around $50. All you have to do is get the numbers off of your recent prescription.

Do this early and then go check them out in a pool; that way if there are problems with leaks or whatever you can get them fixed before the cruise.

I've dealt with these on-line companies for lots of gear; they are good about returns and taking care of problems.

You can also call your local dive shop;they will have some reasonably priced masks that they can order with lenses. You'll get better service but I think they will be hard pressed to beat $100.

If you are just going to snorkel, don't let anyone talk you into an expensive high-tech mask; save your money for cruise excursions!

Bill...thanks for your advice. Mike and I will check out the website when he gets back to the office. I know the local dive shop quoted me $129 just for the lenses in the mask - then not too sure of cost of mask, as we didn't look further. I still have plenty of time- our cruise is March 2006. So I have time to find exactly what I need.

I've never dove before - have been really leary about the weight of the tanks on my back. Mike and my daughter both said it wouldn't be a big deal - if i put the tanks on while in the water - so I may actually think about getting certified before our cruise. We'll see.

Thanks again for your response. These boards have been so helpful with our first cruise.

Have a great day!

Deb

You don't have to spend a lot of money. Check out the internet sites. I often use www.diversdiscount.com. Click on "masks" then click on "masks with lenses". You will see decent masks there for around $50 and a pair of lenses for around $50. All you have to do is get the numbers off of your recent prescription.

Of course, it all depends on your prescription:) . Aside from being very nearsighted, I also suffer from double-vision - and not the usual left-right kind - and have to have my lenses custom-made. That said, the price I was quoted for lenses for a mask were cheaper than the lenses in the glasses currently sitting on my nose. What kind of strange looks would I get if I gave up the glasses and just used the mask?:confused:

That said, the price I was quoted for lenses for a mask were cheaper than the lenses in the glasses currently sitting on my nose. What kind of strange looks would I get if I gave up the glasses and just used the mask?:confused:

Too funny. It makes perfect sense in a wierd kinda way - I just got lenses in my new glasses - cost me almost $400 - I'm wondering how the dive shop can put them in a mask for only $129. Kinda tells you the markup on our seeing glasses, huh?

Have a great day!

Deb

I've had lasik so that I could dive without corrective lenses. then I purchased a dive computer with smalllllllll numbers, and now I need reading lenses in my dive mask. You just can't win. I did buy a mask with reading lenses mounted in them. They work great. I think I spent about $100 for the entire setup. I purchased mine through leisurepro.com

Yeah, the small numbers on the dive computer can be a problem. And not being able to wear contact lenses really limits options for any sport involving masks/goggles. I snow ski and dive, but fortunately can wear contact lenses to correct my near-sightedness. However, I started having problems, being 46, with the close-up stuff and had to wear reading glasses with the contacts. I could see things in the distance fine, but reading trail maps, depth gauges... you know, a real problem cause I can't just whip out the reading glasses. So, a couple of months ago I tried a new perscription for contacts --- one lense for distance, one for up close. Fortunately it seems to work well for me. I'll dive with them for the first time in a couple of weeks while on a Tahiti cruise.

Deb,

I think we must have the same prescription - "blind in one eye and can't see out of the other". My prescription is -6.50 diopters plus a large degree of astigmatism, so I can't see anything underwater without correction. Here's what I did that didn't cost me anything and worked really well.... maybe I got lucky.

I own my own snorkel mask... single lens all the way across (as opposed to two separate lenses). I took an old pair of glasses and took the arms off the frames. The frames just happened to fit perfectly snug inside my mask. So, when I put my mask on, it looked like I was wearing glasses... and actually I was. The "water correction" more than made up for the fact that my old prescription was off a little. But, basically it was perfect... except for one minor part. If I dove down a few feet while snorkeling, the water would compress the mask and the edge of the lenses would make an indentation on my forehead at my nose (because of the thickness of my lenses). After a while, it would give me a slight headache. So, I don't dive down quite as much as I used to.

I would think that if your frames are a little too small for your mask, you could use some silicone and "glue" them in place.

Good luck!!!

Dave

:) :) :)

Hola,

I have to go with Caribdiver on this. I am so nearsighted that I am beside myself. I ordered a Tusa mask with prescription lens from Diversdiscount for $100. I wish that I had done it on our first cruise. My wife saw an octopus and I couldn't see my own fingernails.:(

Hey Carib, Remember me, from the ELATION? How was your back to back? We are sailing on the Grandeur out of NO January 7. Saddle up and go with us.

Hey Clackey:

Yes I do remember you from the Jan 05 cruise! And I remember our great discussion boards before that cruise; and meeting you on the ship. How are you guys?

The back-to-back cruises in Jan 05 were great; we had a fantastic time both weeks.

We enjoyed them so much, we're doing it again. We are on the Elation 4 Dec and again on 11 Dec. We like Galveston, we love the diving in Cozumel, the Progreso trips to Merida, and the Belize eco tours. For us it's the perfect cruise....and the price seems almost impossible to beat.

Your cruise in Jan 06 sounds like fun. Have you ever cruised out of NO? We cruised the Carnival Conquest out of there; it's a fantastic departure port.

Wish we could join you on Jan 7 but that would be too soon after two cruises in December. (at least that's what my wife tells me!) Although to be honest we are looking at one in mid-Feb; the Rhapsody out of Galveston; hey we have to go home once in awhile!

Stay in touch.

Bill & Kathy Grier

Waynesville MO

modiver@juno.com

Hola Bill (aka Caribdiver),

We are both growing like weeds. I bought a new wet suit and I look a lump of coal in it. These things aren't very flattering, are they? Miss Ginger is excited about snorkeling in the Caymans. We are booking the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour with Nativeway. I looks like a fun trip. So far she has pictures of an octopus and I got some of a couple of barracudas. She's hooked on snorkeling now.

Take care and don't be a stranger.:)

I know that in some posts I have seen, people wear their glasses under their masks. They have said it's not the BEST option, but not too uncomfortable. Maybe this is an option?

That doesn't work, alas - the mask (like your glasses) rides on the bridge of your nose, and the temple piece on your glasses would break the face seal.

Please do note, you can - as well as prescription masks - get masks that are just +n diopters, which - especially for folks with fairly simple nearsightedness - may be pretty viable.

A lot of dive shops have lenses that have scripts ground in them that can be added to your existing mask without gluing or bonding. I don't use them as I have bifocals and need double lenses.

I used to use the cheap "cheaters" that you could get and they "stick" in your existing lenses, but it was a hassle messing with them after every dive and then having to make sure you had them (so you could read your gauges).

My wife snorkels only and has a prescription mask. She wouldn't have it any other way.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband got the Spirit 2 from Snorkel Mart with the prescriptive lenses and a purge valve (he's got a moustache) and he was very pleased when he tried it out in the pool. I agree that the price was very reasonable.

I am going to try to submit the masks for remibursement through our Flex plan. THe worst they can do is say no.

Archived