Room Service Tipping

sherry26

Some cruiselines charge for food on room service and tack on 15%--just like alcoholic drinks. If there is no charge, then I would tip $2-$5 depending on the meal. My friend sailed Princess and told me that if you order hot food that is not on the breakfast menu, then there was a charge. If you checked things off on the menu they provide in your room, then there was no charge. NCL charged us for food we ordered for lunch and tacked on 15%. Perhaps it depends on the food and on the cruiseline.

?? How can they add a 15% tip for room service if there is no charge? (except for sodas and booze). $2 for breakfast, $3 for more stuff, (folding green singles, not those uncommon $2 bills or $1 coins that no one uses).

Out of 16 cruises, on different lines, I have never seen a price list for room service food. I certainly would not order room service food I had to pay for just for the opportunity to eat in my cabin. Would they charge you $3 for hot oatmeal?

Perhaps they are talking about chocolate covered strawberries, hor d'eourves or other specialty snacks that are found on the gift list?

NCL charged us for food we ordered for lunch and tacked on 15%. Perhaps it depends on the food and on the cruiseline.

I've been on 5 NCL cruises and have never been charged for food thru room service. Perhaps you ordered something like cans of soda?

NCL has no charge for any of their room service menu items. Also when I chatted with the room service delivery person one morning I was told that they do the room service deliveries on their free time/time off of work........so the tips are all they get from putting in their extra time.

Archived