Tips

Croozer101

Well I am relaxing away my Saturday reading posts on several different forums! We are a bunch of cruise addicts...it's like being at an AA meeting listening to stories, complaints, and those that know it all! Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying them all knowing I will continue to hand cash to my room steward, bar staff, and dining/drink staff, as well as pay those auto deducted because they work hard and cater to my every need[emoji3].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm curious where some of you get your information on how Carnival pools the auto tips? I can't imagine that the auto tips would be equally divided among the cabin stewards and the dishwashers.

Before when tips were delivered in envelopes, I never had an envelope that was designated for "the behind the scenes people". I believe this is a guilt tactic that Carnival tells it's passengers so they won't drop their auto tips.

TIPS means.. "To Insure Prompt Service" .. As stated many times, we should tip people who have personally given us service.

When at a restaurant, we don't leave an extra tip for the cook, dishwasher etc... do we?

Carnival's auto tips is a wonderful thing to me compared to handing out those envelopes.

I'm curious where some of you get your information on how Carnival pools the auto tips? I can't imagine that the auto tips would be equally divided among the cabin stewards and the dishwashers.

Before when tips were delivered in envelopes, I never had an envelope that was designated for "the behind the scenes people". I believe this is a guilt tactic that Carnival tells it's passengers so they won't drop their auto tips.

TIPS means.. "To Insure Prompt Service" .. As stated many times, we should tip people who have personally given us service.

When at a restaurant, we don't leave an extra tip for the cook, dishwasher etc... do we?

Carnival's auto tips is a wonderful thing to me compared to handing out those envelopes.

I thought you ensured prompt service.

This is an oft-repeated myth, and one should be able to tell that it is not true based on the grammar alone. If it was an acronym and if it did mean what you think it means, it would be TEPS. The proper word there would be ensure, not insure.;)

Furthermore, if tips were used that way they wouldn't be tips (a thank-you or reward for good service); they would be bribes.;)

Here's some additional reading:

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Edited by ShakyBeef
punctuation

You were doing good util that acronym sent you off the rails. And no, no one but service personel get tips. Everyone else gets an agreed upon set salary that never changes until a new contract. That includes the oft thrown in kitchen help and laundry cleaners.

I stand corrected on the grammar of insure and ensure....

yes grammatically it is to "ensure" prompt service... Actually, the word tip is not an acronym for anything... but it evolved with "insure" prompt service since it fits:)

I stand corrected on the grammar of insure and ensure....

yes grammatically it is to "ensure" prompt service... Actually, the word tip is not an acronym for anything... but it evolved with "insure" prompt service since it fits:)

Correct, tips is not an acronym (as I already stated). It is a very old word. And it did not "evolve" with "insure". Its origin was just fabricated and its meaning bastardized by such fanciful associations.:cool:

If you never worked in a restaurant, this is how it goes.

Servers get tips, they then at the end of the shift give some of those tips to

The other employees that make their job easier.

Busser, dish washer, bar tender, bar back, it's not a lot because those other positions are fully paid, but the servers are showing their appreation to those

Behind the scenes.

If you never worked in a restaurant, this is how it goes.

Servers get tips, they then at the end of the shift give some of those tips to

The other employees that make their job easier.

Busser, dish washer, bar tender, bar back, it's not a lot because those other positions are fully paid, but the servers are showing their appreation to those

Behind the scenes.

Not all restaurants pool tips or tip out.

I was just saying, when I was a busboy/dish washer, I was always collecting the dirty dishes, because I couldn't stand having a mess.

The waitresses showed their appreation by giving me some of their tips.

They didn't have to.

The ladies liked having their station clean and full.

Edited by fireofficer5

Love these threads! I predict how many people post before the 4-5 Buzzkill posters get their posts in about removing tips and giving only to those that ACTUALLY, physically serve you! :rolleyes:

This time I didn't even get to type my prediction on line because it came so quickly! Ha!

Leave your "TEPS" alone and give extra!! :)

Edited by momof4boys

Love these threads! I predict how many people post before the 4-5 Buzzkill posters get their posts in about removing tips and giving only to those that ACTUALLY, physically serve you! :rolleyes:

This time I didn't even get to type my prediction on line because it came so quickly! Ha!

Leave your "TEPS" along and give extra!! :)

Amen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tipping people that clean tables. That's a new one.

Not to me, in many restaurants waiters share their tips with bus boys who clean tables. I guess I am in the minority, but I leave a tip at buffet restaurants even though I get my own food.