Wifi question again....

bindy1

Here is my issue -----I am currently taking a class online. I have a test I have to take in the middle of our cruise. I knew this could happen when I booked but was hoping against the odds. Obviously the odds were not in my favor. So how is the Wifi on the ship? Specifically the Conquest? Can I keep a good connection for 45 minutes? Where is the best place on the ship to keep a good wifi connection? Is early in the morning better or some other time during the day? Or am I better off going to Starbucks in San Juan and taking my test there? I don't think I want to try to take a test on the beach in Grand Turk.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have from Thursday at 12:01 am CST through Saturday 11:59 PM to take the test. 2 timed attempts of 45 minutes each attempt.

Thurs - San Juan

Fri - Grand Turk

Sat - day at sea

We cruised last year on the Dream and I remember the wifi was decent enough to check my email on the kindle but it was slow.

PS - I have already emailed the professor asking to take the test before we leave and her answer was no. She cannot open the test early just for me. Which I completely understand but thought I would ask anyway.

I am favoring Starbucks in SJ at this point. It does not appear to be a very far walk from the port to get there. We get into port at 7am. So I can get to Starbucks, take the test and be back on the ship before DD is even up for the day.

Is there anywhere near the port in Grand Turk? A coffee shop of any kind? Just thinking if I need to try again, GT is the next port of call.

Is there anywhere near the port in Grand Turk? A coffee shop of any kind? Just thinking if I need to try again, GT is the next port of call.

There is a Margaritaville in the Grand Turk Cruise Center, just passed the duty free shop. I believe the Internet is complimentary there, but I'm not 100% sure. There is WiFi though. There is a large pool that your daughter can swim in while you're taking your exam and your traveling companion can order lunch for your family towards the end of your exam for when you finish.

Other than Jack's Shack and Margaritaville, is there some where else for wifi? And it doesn't necessarily neeed to be free wifi.

I don't think I want to try and take a test at Margaritaville. :eek: I may celebrate there afterwards though! ;)

Other than Jack's Shack and Margaritaville, is there some where else for wifi? And it doesn't necessarily neeed to be free wifi.

I don't think I want to try and take a test at Margaritaville. :eek: I may celebrate there afterwards though! ;)

You probably would be okay at Jacks Shack. There are plenty of tables and shade by the bar. Its also not that noisy there so you can concentrate.

Mike

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Oh I would absolutely recommend doing this off the ship using someone's free wifi. The ship's wifi is terrible. I was on the Liberty in 2013 and just while checking into our flight and printing boarding passes it was so slow and so frustrating it was enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

I am favoring Starbucks in SJ at this point. It does not appear to be a very far walk from the port to get there. We get into port at 7am. So I can get to Starbucks, take the test and be back on the ship before DD is even up for the day.

I agree with this poster. Starbucks will be easier to take the exam than margaritaville or jacks shack. M-ville will be way too noisy and crowded. Jacks the view will be distracting.

The ships wifi is unreliable and way too slow to attempt an exam. It took me 45 mins to load my browser log in and email my professor with an attachment because the signal kept dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So I have done a little more checking.....

We are the only ship in port in both SJ and GT. So that being said, the wifi in port either Starbucks or Jack's Shack will still be better than on the ship?

A slow connection won't be a big deal for the test but dropping the internet connection will count as one attempt to take the test. That is what has me worried.

Herbaltees - that is what I was wondering.....the dropping the connection part of this. I cannot drop the connection in the middle of the test.

So I think I will plan to take the test the morning we are in SJ at Starbucks. Then I can get the test done and DD and I can go off exploring OSJ late morning -early afternoon. Then if I need to re-take the test, I can do it from Jack's Shack the next day. Which was where we were planning to spend the day in GT anyway.

By GT I will either be celebrating with a drink or wallowing in my sorrows with a drink. Either way......