Los Angeles Help!!

My Husband And I Will Be Arriving At Lax From Atlanta Wed. Morning 11/23/05 Apprpx.10:00am. We Will Be Staying At The Beverly Hilton For 2 Nights, Leaving On The Norwegian Star Nov. 25 (the Day After Thanksgiving).

Should We Take A Taxi To The Port/San Pedro World

Cruise Center Or Rent A Car?

Any Good Ideas For Los Angeles Area During The Thanksgiving Holiday?

Sight Seeing Tours Avail. During The Holiday?

Also Our Flight Out Of Lax Dec 3rd At 12:45 Pm, Should That Be A Problem Getting To Lax On A Saturday Morning?

Theresa ;)

A cab from Beverly Hills to the port will run you about $60. You might want to look into SuperShuttle, which would probably be about the same for two people. I would not rent a car just to get to the port, but if you will have one anyway (the only way to see anything during your stay, really), you might want to use Enterprise as they are the only company with a office near the cruise ship terminal.

Not much will be open on Thanksgiving day. That would be a good day to take a drive up or down the coast though. A drive along Malibu or down Pacific Coast Hwy. from Long Beach would be nice.

On Wednesday, I would recommend the Getty Center unless you are determined to see "Hollywood" (which can be disappointing). It is closed on Thanksgiving. I am pretty sure the Farmer's Market is closed that day too, but you could call to check. It is not far from La Brea Tar Pits and Page Museum. The museum is closed on Thanksgiving Day though.

The holiday rush of new movies will start the day before Thanksgiving. Since everything will be closed on the holiday you might want to consider taking in a movie, since they will be about the only thing open. I also suggest making reservations well in advance for dinner, if you want a traditional Thanksgiving meal. If you want a really upscale meal, treat yourself to dinner at Spago's -- an LA experience. It's still a wonderful restaurant; pricey but beautiful with a great patio area with ample heaters.

BTW, the other shuttle service to call to compare prices is Prime Time Shuttle. I know they offer a AAA discount, if you're a member, and I think they are slightly cheaper than Super Shuttle.

While you're in the Hollywood area try to get up to Yamashiro, either for dinner or at least for a drink. It is a beautiful restaurant with the most breathtaking view of LA. Go at sunset so you can watch the lights. LA is truly at its best at night; the lights go on forever.

MS ~ We are also staying at the Beverly Hilton – coming in at LAX – and cruising from San Pedro. We’ll be staying for two nights on 9/21. We decided to use Super Shuttle. Renting a car seems like too much trouble and Hilton charges $21 to park there. Seems like the cost to rent a car vs. shuttle is about the same. Approx. prices that I was quoted for two people – Lax to Hilton $30 – Hilton to San Pedro $55 – pier back to LAX $36.

Hilton will drive you within 5 miles of the hotel to where you want to go. We’re taking a StarLine tour of LA on one of the days. http://www.starlinetours.com Also lots to do around the hotel and at the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple more weeks and your cruise will be here. Hope you have a wonderful time. Please send comments when you return to let us know all the great things we should do.:)

We did decide to get a rental car thru Dollar Rentals at Lax (just for 2 days).

They have some good rates at this time. When we return the car back to Lax

on the day we set sail, we have then reserved Primetime Shuttle to take us from

Lax to San Pedro/World Cruise Center Pier $32.00pp roundtrip.

Everyone we talked to said in LA we would want a car to get around. We also

want to be able to take a drive down the coast.

Also taking a tour on Thanksgiving Day with Starline Tours. 5 hours.

Please let me know how you liked the Beverly Hilton. I hear it is GREAT!

We can't wait......

Theresa

• 2 weeks later...

If you are here for a few days-rent a car-no good public transportation system to speak of. Def take a drive thru Santa Monica-not to miss: Palisades Park, Montana Ave(great little cafe-Marmalade) & 3rd st Promenade for "star watching", imo-the nicest area in SM is North of Montana-some of the homes are amazing-i like to just cruise the neighborhood-grew up on Alta Ave! Santa Monica Pier is interesting as is Venice Beach-several miles to the south-you will see things in Venice that you will see no where else on earth :) They have a "flea market" every day selling the t-shirts, sunglasses, backpacks/purses and other more "out-there" items! Consider taking a drive up the coast on Pacific Coast Hwy thru Malibu-there is a Charthouse restaurant on the coast that has the most wonderful sunset views-always a long wait-but well worth it.

A lot of Hollywood is pretty sleezy-be aware of your surroundings-I would do a group tour. I totally agree w/ doing the Getty Center-you will need to make reservations-there is no admission fee but there is a parking fee @$5. -we were there for @ 4hrs & really enjoyed ourselves. the views are amazing-you can see from the Pacific Ocean all the way to Hollywood and Downtown LA(at least on a clear day!) Yamashiro is as described-love it!

Imo-i would skip Downtown LA, would stick to the Westside, Santa Monica, Palisades, Malibu, Venice, and the South Bay. Downtown Long Beach has gone thru a major revitilzation-the Aquarium of the Pacific & that area is really nice-the old Queen Mary is there also. Have fun, LA is great. Liz

Archived