Sapphire - a few questions

marypa

We've been on quite a few Princess ships, but we are on the sapphire for the first time and have been travelling on other cruise lines (Oceania/star clipper)

A few questions for those who have used her recently:

1. Do they have a sing along in the Piano Bar - this sounds naff but its great fun

2. Are the Zumba classes free?

3. How often do they have the Chef's table?

4 Do they have a canape hour for suites and platinum and above passengers?

5. Is there a secret door onto a front deck for a good front view?

6. How long can we hang about on board on disembarkation day - we are platinum

7. Is the coffee still terrible?

8. Do they still serve the lovely souffles and the lovely chocolate Princess signature desserts for dinner to order?

Any any other top tips for making our cruise even better

Thanks

We've been on quite a few Princess ships, but we are on the sapphire for the first time and have been travelling on other cruise lines (Oceania/star clipper)

A few questions for those who have used her recently:

1. Do they have a sing along in the Piano Bar - this sounds naff but its great fun

2. Are the Zumba classes free?

3. How often do they have the Chef's table?

4 Do they have a canape hour for suites and platinum and above passengers?

5. Is there a secret door onto a front deck for a good front view?

6. How long can we hang about on board on disembarkation day - we are platinum

7. Is the coffee still terrible?

8. Do they still serve the lovely souffles and the lovely chocolate Princess signature desserts for dinner to order?

Any any other top tips for making our cruise even better

Thanks

1. There should be a piano player in Crooners. Whether he engages in sing-alongs is up to him. Some do, some don't.
  2. Zumba is free.
  3. Chef's Table depends on the length of the voyage. Probably twice on a 7 day cruise.
  4. Yes, the Elite/Platinum/Suite get-together will most likely be in Skywalkers from 5pm-7pm.
  5. Walk forward on Sun deck and you'll be able to access the area on top of the bridge wings. You can also walk forward on the Promenade, go up a flight of stairs and you'll be at the bow of the ship.
  6. You can hang until about 9:30ish... status doesn't matter. Just tell them you want to get off with the last group.
  7. I don't drink coffee, but when I have, it's been acceptable. YMMV
  8. Yes, souffles and chocolate goodies for dessert. They have a new "Chocolate Journeys" thing happening with Norman Love chocolates and there will be gourmet chocolate desserts, drinks, etc. It's rolling out to the fleet. Hopefully it'll be on your sailing.

Sapphire Princess is a lovely ship. Don't miss the International Café and Alfredo's in the Piazza.

Edited by RickEk

I'm not actually answering any of the questions you've asked, but felt it worthwhile to help you understand the anytime dining options, at least as they were during our 2012 Alaska cruise. Things may have changed, so ask your TA/Princess rep for an update if you care.

Diamond & Sapphire have "four half-size" dining rooms in the space where the other Grand-class have "two full-size" dining rooms. On these two ships, each DR has a name which correlates with their theme. For example, Santa Fe had a New Mexico theme, which appears in the decor, as well as the menu.

Each ATDR has a specialty themed dish. That dish is available every night, but does not appear on the menu. Hint: go to each DR at your earliest opportunity ask them what the themed dish is, so you know which DRs you may want to visit at least once during the cruise. Example: if the specialty dish is pork chops and you're on a 28-day sailing, you could have pork chops 28 days in a row by going to that DR nightly.

All five DRs (four ATDRs plus the TDDR) have a common menu that changes nightly. That menu gets posted on a daily basis, and will be offered in every dining room. You won't see the ATDRs' specialty themed dish on any of these menus; you have to know what it is or be told by your waiter/maitre d.

Hopefully I've explained this in a manner that's clear - we honestly bumbled around the ship for 3-4 days on a 7-day cruise until we figured it out, and at that point it was too late to really plan around it (since we knew that Juneau night was Italian night anyway).

Sapphire and Diamond have some of the best "space ratios" in the fleet; I've been on peak-season sailings where they've made move-over offers and the only time I've ever felt crowded was passing through the old-layout Horizon Court (since remodeled) on a Glacier Bay day.

These are my two favorite ships in the fleet, by far.

they were my favourite too but its been many years since I've been on them. they were my first cruises, so they're special to me. i'm looking forward to the sapphire next month! I agree, I have never felt crowded on board.

Edited by cdngrl