Breakfast

igloo810

Breakfast on disembarkation day will normally be in the aft dining room on deck 6 (the one that you can't get to from deck 6 midships without going up to deck 7 and then back down. They will frequently use the midship dining rooms on decks 5 and 6 for disembarkation lounges for different groups, so they would not be available. The aft dining room is used, because it would be a very poor place for a disembarkation lounge.

We have had breakfast in the MDR the last day on all 6 of our Princess cruises, and only once has it been in the aft dining room. We've also only once had our disembarkation lounge in one of the mid-ship dining rooms.

We are always in one of the last groups, since we live near port and are in no hurry to get off. We sleep in, leave our rooms shortly before 8, linger over breakfast in the MDR and get off around 9:30. We have never had any problem finding room for our carry-ons near our table. The MDR is never crowded at that time.

Love the French toast--having something special on the last morning is a great way to end the cruise.

Thing is, J.B.'s FT. is now available everyday in the MDR, not just disembarkation morning. Still, on the last cruise I only ate it the last day...just because.

And unless you're really burdened with lots of carry-ons, you can bring luggage to the MDR and leave it by the entrance while you eat, thereby not having to head back tot he cabin before 8:00. Lots of passengers do.

And unless you're really burdened with lots of carry-ons, you can bring luggage to the MDR and leave it by the entrance while you eat, thereby not having to head back tot he cabin before 8:00. Lots of passengers do.

That's true, but we like to go back just to make sure we've left nothing. The bags are packed and ready to go...maybe it's sentimental...but one last look around and then we go...

Is the/a MDR open for breakfast every morning of a cruise or only on disembark day?

The MDR is open everyday of the cruise. Of course for those embarking, it is too late. It is open both on port days and sea days.

If we have an early excursion we will eat in the buffet because it is usually quicker early in the morning. But we try to eat breakfast in the MDR every chance we can.

I remember our first cruise where my mom joined us after 3 days at sea. At first she said she would just order room service. but after the first day, she did not like that so we dragged her to the MDR. Well, the young lady who greets the passengers saw her and said "MOMMY" and gave her a great big hug. After that, she was sold on the MDR.....

The MDR is open everyday of the cruise. Of course for those embarking, it is too late. It is open both on port days and sea days.

If we have an early excursion we will eat in the buffet because it is usually quicker early in the morning. But we try to eat breakfast in the MDR every chance we can.

I remember our first cruise where my mom joined us after 3 days at sea. At first she said she would just order room service. but after the first day, she did not like that so we dragged her to the MDR. Well, the young lady who greets the passengers saw her and said "MOMMY" and gave her a great big hug. After that, she was sold on the MDR.....

That's good to know, thanks. I don't know why but I'd never given the MDR a thought for breakfast or for lunch for that matter.

Love the French toast--having something special on the last morning is a great way to end the cruise.

It's evidently a recipe that James Beard developed for the Santé Fe RR. A few years back Carbill posted the recipe. It's baked not fried and as hard as I have tried to make it as good as Princess does....well I have failed.

That's good to know, thanks. I don't know why but I'd never given the MDR a thought for breakfast or for lunch for that matter.

On our last cruise we had a large group of drinkers (around 1000). We would go to breakfast around 8 am and found the MDR ritually empty....Makes for attentive service.