Cruising with a cooling vest

Wumeister

I have MS and wear a cooling vest to maintain a core temperature needed to function well. It has 4 gel packs that are activated by 30 minutes in a freezer or 20 minutes in ice water and stays cold for 4 hours. Has anyone ever cruised with a vest? I would only need to activate on port days. TIA.

Have MS but don't cruise with a vest but do use the ice water activated cooling neck bands/scarfs. Don't use them on the ship as if I get too warm I just go back into the air conditioning to cool down. Also cruise with a group that have MS and some have use the cooling vests when going ashore.

Do you have specific questions about cruising with MS and having heat sensitive symptoms ?

Hello,

I have MS and I have used the cooling vest on several cruises. I have used them on shore tours and on board the ship going through the Panama Canal. I have duplicate gel packs and the insulated carrier/storage bag that is available from the manufacturer. Every night the steward would take the used set of gel packs and put them in a freezer for me and leave the newly frozen set in the insulated bag where they would remain frozen until the next morning when I could use them. He would make this exchange each night. We did the exchange at night rather than in the morning because the steward's morning duties maight prevent him from doing the exchange early enough for me to have them for excursions. I hope this helps.

Betty

How do i freeze the ice packs, will they put them in a freezer for me? They can also be activated by ice water, but they are too big for the ice bucket? I don't use it on the ship either.

There is no way to freeze the ice packs in the room. Asking the cabin steward is nan option but even so that doesn't always work with one's schedule. Personally find it better to activate it be placing ice in the bathroom sink.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I also have MS. I am in the process of researching cooling vests. What makes/models have you found that are travel friendly?

Is case you're not aware the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) has a Cooling Program that provides such items free to those living with MS. Though the application process is from February 1st to June 1st, the MSF is a good source to speak to about cooling vests. Here's the link. http://www.multiplesclerosisfoundation.org/Cooling-Program.aspx

The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) also has a Cooling Assistance Program and is another good source to contact. Here's the link http://www.mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

Edited by xxoocruiser

Is case you're not aware the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) has a Cooling Program that provides such items free to those living with MS. Though the application process is from February 1st to June 1st, the MSF is a good source to speak to about cooling vests. Here's the link. http://www.multiplesclerosisfoundation.org/Cooling-Program.aspx

The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) also has a Cooling Assistance Program and is another good source to contact. Here's the link http://www.mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

Thank you for this information.

As information, on our last cruise I had the gel packs that needed freezing due to very recent knee replacement. I had been told to give them to the room steward for freezing. I was told the guest services was the place to go. Went there and they were very helpful. Put my cabin number on a sticker and I would drop off in the AM and pick them back up each night. Worked very well. NO, I did not have to stand in line each night as they would see me and one would get the packs and hand them over.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back and cruising with the vest could not be more simple. My gel packs froze in the cabin refrigerator! I have a Glacier Tek vest with gel packs. I actually used it more than l thought I would. There were spots on the ship that felt warm to me and I just popped it on, then returned it to the refrigerator.

Happy cruising!