Upgrade--No upgrade fairy involved

maina

Thanks to the experience another traveler posted on our roll call, I called Cunard yesterday and got an upgrade on our upcoming Oct. 8th QM transatlantic crossing. Our fellow passenger was able to jump several grades (from sheltered balcony aft on a low deck to regular balcony on deck 11) at no extra charge. We like the sheltered balcony, but requested and got one midships, instead of aft, and up one deck, to 5 instead of 4 as originally assigned--just one grade and price point up, but it's where we'll be happy to be. This voyage still shows a lot of cabin availability, and has been having sales on some cabin categories, so I think that requesting rather than waiting for upgrades may be a good strategy in similar situations. I was holding off printing e-tickets and luggage labels, waiting for possible "upgrade fairy," but think I'm safe to print now (as soon as they show up in voyage personaliser, which I was told by the customer service rep. could take up to 48 hours). Only a little over 3 weeks to go now!

Thanks to the experience another traveler posted on our roll call, I called Cunard yesterday and got an upgrade on our upcoming Oct. 8th QM transatlantic crossing. Our fellow passenger was able to jump several grades (from sheltered balcony aft on a low deck to regular balcony on deck 11) at no extra charge. We like the sheltered balcony, but requested and got one midships, instead of aft, and up one deck, to 5 instead of 4 as originally assigned--just one grade and price point up, but it's where we'll be happy to be. This voyage still shows a lot of cabin availability, and has been having sales on some cabin categories, so I think that requesting rather than waiting for upgrades may be a good strategy in similar situations. I was holding off printing e-tickets and luggage labels, waiting for possible "upgrade fairy," but think I'm safe to print now (as soon as they show up in voyage personaliser, which I was told by the customer service rep. could take up to 48 hours). Only a little over 3 weeks to go now!

Hi, we did a B2B in August and were upgraded 2 weeks before our crossing. I had just printed off the e-ticket and labels, then had to do them all again. Might be best to wait just a little while just in case.

Catherine

Hmmm. Do people ever get upgraded more than once? I figured since we already got an upgrade we would be flagged and so not be considered for another. However, I do know that on our first voyage, also QM transatlantic but eastbound, we were upgraded from oceanview to sheltered balcony cabin 2 weeks before the sailing. Maybe 2 weeks is the magic number. :D

Edited by maina