BillW Question

pookeysmom

There are many different types of meetings: open meetings which anyone may attend, closed meetings for self identified alcoholics, big book meetings, step meetings, beginners meetings, specific group meetings (women, men, young people, long term recovery, gay, etc., though usually anyone is welcome if they really need a meeting).

Cruise ship meetings are always open, welcoming friends, family members, potential members who may be concerned about their alcohol consumption, those with other addictions who want to attend a 12-Streep program meeting while onboard... they are among the most open meetings because they are the ONLY meeting available.

That said, family members would do well to let the recovering person find their own way. It's important to pursue recovery for yourself, not someone else. this is very tough when dealing with a minor; professional counseling would definitely be a help, as would some young people's meetings if those are available in your area.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

You might want to post on the roll call for your interest. You may find others that may join you and maybe have a plan before hand. All the best wishes for your family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a good idea! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many different types of meetings: open meetings which anyone may attend, closed meetings for self identified alcoholics, big book meetings, step meetings, beginners meetings, specific group meetings (women, men, young people, long term recovery, gay, etc., though usually anyone is welcome if they really need a meeting).

Cruise ship meetings are always open, welcoming friends, family members, potential members who may be concerned about their alcohol consumption, those with other addictions who want to attend a 12-Streep program meeting while onboard... they are among the most open meetings because they are the ONLY meeting available.

That said, family members would do well to let the recovering person find their own way. It's important to pursue recovery for yourself, not someone else. this is very tough when dealing with a minor; professional counseling would definitely be a help, as would some young people's meetings if those are available in your area.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Denise - I appreciate the info.

Thankfully Houston is the most fantastic city for adolescent recovery. We've plugged into an amazing alternative peer group & he's busy all the time with his new group of fun, wild & crazy, SOBER friends :)

We're transferring him from on-line high school to 1 of the Sober high schools in town too. I didn't even know such a thing existed until recently!

We're attending family meetings & parent meetings & have learned a lot. We're each working the program. :cool: