Sir Samuels's question

nuekruizer

What foods/ drinks do they serve in Sir Samuels? Is it a coffee bar? Is there a charge? What is especially good to order there?
Hi nuekruizer,

Sir Samuels is a "coffee shop during the day and wine bar at night". The coffee is good, I've had worse, I've had better. A tea selection (Twinnings) is also available. The cakes and pastries selection available can vary, danish, croissants etc. Small breakfast or mid-morning snack selections, that sort of thing.

There is a charge for all drinks (hot or cold), coffee, tea etc (and wine of course).

Now I'd read here on CC that the pastries and food items were rather on the small side, so on my last few visits I've simply ordered double of whatever I wanted, as there is no charge in Sir Samuels for food. That way I got a reasonable taste of something, not one mere mouthful.

Here is a picture of Sir Samuels:

More can be found via the link below (QM2 "tour")

Hope this helps :) .

Sir Samuels is one of my favourite rooms , and I go there every day whilst on board.

Yes the food offerings have become smaller, and yes you can order as many as you like, any comment I have made is not regarding the "filling of ones stomach" aspect on the reduction, but a comment on(IMHO ) the "dumbing down" of the Cunard experience.

You do pay for whatever beverage you choose to drink, there are choices (though again not so many as in the past). It is very civilized ,during the day the beverages are served on a tray, with tea it is not only cup and saucer but with a teapot.

I have not used it at night since I choose to use the Chart Room for my wine, because of the music offered in there, but if you prefer no music, Sir Samuels would be a very good place.

I hope you enjoy being there as much as I do.

... It is very civilized ...
Thank you Jimsgirl, That is a very good word to describe the room, both during the day and in the evening, in my experience.

... I have not used it at night since I choose to use the Chart Room for my wine, because of the music offered in there, but if you prefer no music, Sir Samuels would be a very good place ...
Actually, when the music (or conversation level) in the Chart Room is too loud, being "across the hall" on the other side of the ship is great, one can still hear the music in the distance, but are still able to hold a quiet conversation. Like Jimsgirl, I like Sir Samuels a lot.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Lynn, I have seen so much wasted food on board. Is it possible that they cut down on the portions to minimize waste? Since you can order as much as you like, it seems like a good plan. On the other hand, if you think you are getting a light lunch and you end up with two bites....that's not ideal either. How has it worked out for you?

In a way I cheat! Most days I do not eat lunch , but if I do then it is usually the quiche in Sir Samuels, the quiche is whole but is quite small, so it is a vey light lunch. There is some "greenery" to go with it. Desert would have be the strawberry tart, again very small so you can eat it without spoiling your appetite.

I do not usually go to tea in the Queens room either , though if I was talking to someone interesting and they asked me to accompany them, I would go but limit my intake.

I did go several time in July because I met a very nice mother and daughter and we agreed to meet outside the Room to go to tea.

As Pepperrn remarked in another post, some people of whom I am one , only have o look at a menu to have their clothes become instantly too tight.

No you aren't required to at all. You are free to order tap water and order food in the Golden Lion and Sir Samuels. Feel free to order as much as you require and if your initial order doesn't fill you you up, order seconds. I think the key thing is not to waste food. I eat plenty but never over order, as in Britannia or the bars you can always order additional food if you require it. I always feel it's better not to be over faced. I had the most amazing Lasagne in Britannia, I simply ordered a second helping and it's totally fine. I agree with the smaller portions on board. The average person can't eat a huge cooked breakfast, a pub meal for lunch and a 4 course dinner unless the portions are moderate in size. If you don't eat breakfast and lunch and want something more substantial for dinner, just ask, the waiters have no problem making sure the portion you receive is to your liking. It is in their interests to please this way as they are incentivised by tips and they are not criticised by the kitchen for asking for larger portions or additional dishes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums