Kids and ID

If both parents are not present when applying for the passport you will need a notarized letter from the parent who is not there giving you permission to get the passport for your child. I believe there is a form letter available on the US State Dept. website. I know this seems like more government interference, but it is for you and your child's protection. It is to prevent a non-custodial parent from leaving the country with a child.

We are cruising in November and so our kids won't need passports but we did get them official state photo ID cards. Figured it would be easier to show these as ID than having to take out paper birth certificates when we board airplanes. I realize I'll still need the birth certificates when we board the ship.

We are cruising in November and so our kids won't need passports but we did get them official state photo ID cards. Figured it would be easier to show these as ID than having to take out paper birth certificates when we board airplanes. I realize I'll still need the birth certificates when we board the ship.

If you're going that far, why not just get the passports? They are good for FIVE YEARS and you are just SOOO much easier to use than anything else.

Also, not only do both parents have to be present when you apply, the KIDS do, too. It seems kind of silly, but I guess they just have to make sure the photo matches.

Barb

Also, not only do both parents have to be present when you apply, the KIDS do, too. It seems kind of silly, but I guess they just have to make sure the photo matches.

Barb

Actually, it's not silly to have the kids there too - how easy would it be to tacke a photo of a kid you plan to snatch, take it the the passport office with other phonied papers (or say the birth certificate of another child) and get a legal document saying that the kid with that photo is legally yours....

Archived