QM2 Tour and Review - August 2014 Transatlantic crossing

Gazroberts80

As always Pepperrn your responses to my questions are excellent. You are such an authority and you really know every last detail of these magnificent ships.

I do very much like the look of the improved sports deck on QE from pictures, although I think it detracts somewhat from the profile of the ship. Likewise the larger Lido Pool area is most welcome, however I feel that the stern of QE is less attractive than the more tiered stern of Victoria. The suites at the back of Victoria having much larger balconies but at the cost of privacy.

I'd noticed the staircases in Britannia from your photographs and agree that the hidden staircases on QV are not as appealing. I like the look of the Art Deco touches throughout QE and I do prefer lighter woods so that may be something I'd prefer.

The lido seating in QE looks like it has more of a restaurant look, when compared with the more cafeteria style tables found on QV.

I certainly didn't mean to criticise the corridors on QM2 in terms of ceiling height and the central nature of them. I think it's a reflection of the current refit schedule that such heavily used sections of the ship are beginning to show some wear. Lifts were a little scratched and the mirrors inside looked a little tired. The well documented, pot hole problem is noticeable although it was pleasing to see the carpets lifted on one day for emergency repairs in the Grand lobby. I felt that on Victoria the carpets and tile flooring was virtually immaculate throughout the corridors and felt more luxurious and premium. The lifts and lift areas just seemed very polished with no wear or tear or scratches evident.

I agree with you about not boarding and entering into the grand lobby on QV. I was disappointed not to step foot and see the grand lobby. My disappointment with the Grand lobby on QM2 is mainly that it's hard to see the full spectacle of the staircases and central ship sculpture piece. If you get the right angle you can just about see all at once. On QV/QE as you stand on one side of the Grand lobby you can see the piano, the staircases the ship painting and the lights from the ceiling above.You can see them all together but as my mum said she didn't even notice the ship sculpture piece until she took a glass lift as it's not naturally ever in your eye line as you enter.

I am definitely going to try to sail on QE next summer as your observations have made me realise there are differences that give QE a unique feel. It's a shame about the loss of the Chart room however as this was always a pleasant drinking venue prior to dinner. Thank you once again for taking time to reply and answer all my questions so comprehensively and clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Gazroberts80