dominican republic

eswort

this isnt a cruise question but i thought you guys would know....do you need a passport to travel to the dominican republic for this year....i know some passport rules are changing but i thought they didnt start until 2006

thanks

Although Dominican law technically allows U.S. citizens to enter the country on other proof of U.S. citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, etc.) along with a photo ID, numerous U.S. travelers have been prohibited from departing the Dominican Republic on such documents.

In these cases, Dominican Immigration has required the travelers to obtain a U.S. passport from the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo. Obtaining a U.S. passport may take up to 10 business days and requires documents that most tourists do not carry, thus delaying the traveler's return to the United States.

You don't need a passport to go to the Dominican Republic, now or after Dec. 31, 2005. The U.S. government requires Americans to have a passport to return home after Dec. 31, 2005 from cruises and Caribbean destinations.

Archived