Which "dam" ships have you been on?

Vict0riann

I was really surprised to see that one other respondent here besides myself had been on the SS Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938. Considering that the ship was removed from service and scrapped in1974 that's quite something! The ship saw extensive and heroic trooping duties during WW II and in the 60s had a "life extension refit" for another 10 years of service, not unlike what Rotterdam V also had, after an outcry by their loyal fans in response to the news of their impending removal from service.

If you're interested in the history of older HAL ships try to get a copy of William Miller's "Going Dutch" - a lovely history of HAL published in 1998. For those with an interest in SS Rotterdam V, the commemorative book by Stephen Payne (designer of the QM2) titled "GRAND DAME, Holland America Line and the SS Rotterdam" is a wonderful read as well. Foreward by noted maritime historian John Maxtone-Graham who was married in Rotterdam V's incredible Ritz-Carlton room. Great reads, both.

You're right, of course, Ruth, all sorts of things combine to make a bad experience. Our only other experience of a cruise ship was Legend of the Seas, a RCI ship of similar size to Noordam. I suppose I was expecting it to be similar but found the lack of a central open area and the dark gloomy public rooms very oppressive and closed in. The outside decks also seemed very narrow compared to the Legend.

The main thing is something I can't put into words, just a feeling that the atmosphere wasn't right and that the crew were not very happy in their work. They certainly seemed a lot more harassed that on RCI.

Maybe one of the newer HAL ships would suit us better.

We haven't been on either the Noordam or the Legend of the Seas so perhaps we are not the best ones to say anything. We have been on the sister ships to the Noordam and the 2 newer HAL ships, we were also on the Allure of the Seas, RCI's mega ship. On RCI we found the central open area to be extremly loud and inhospitable, except for Central Park, and felt that the common rooms were way to loud and far to busy for us to enjoy. The stateroom were also very cramped. What we enjoy most on all of the HAL ships are the quieter, more peaceful common areas with their magnificent art work and wonderful wood panneling.

We found that the crews on both lines were excellent, you may have just had a rare experience if the crew was unhappy.

Perhaps RCI is just a better fit for you

My 1st cruise was in 1976 on the SS Statendam, followed by Rotterdam V many times. Also, the old Veendam and Volendam, old Westerdam, Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam from the 1980's.

On to the current fleet, I have sailed all but Oosterdam, Rotterdam and Prisendam. I love them all, can't choose a favorite, I can't wait till Oct 26 when I am back to the Eurodam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums