Carnival Trip Insurance

xowendyxo

Had anyone night and actually had to use trip/medical insurance through Carnival?

I have used 3rd party for medical on our previous cruise, but it gets quite expensive for the whole deal (cheapest I found was $170 pp where Carnival is $120).

Any opinions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Make sure you don't just compare price, but also whether it is primary or secondary. Carnival insurance is secondary, meaning it will only pay whatever any other insurance or warranty will not. That makes it less expensive than primary coverage, which will pay no matter what your other insurance will pay.

I don't remember all the details but when I booked our first cruise about 4 years ago I did a pretty extensive comparison between Carnival's travel insurance and insurance provided by 3rd parties. I concluded that Carnival insurance was very limited and not very comprehensive. Since then I've always purchased 3rd part insurance. Slightly more expensive but I guess you pay for what you get.

Make sure you don't just compare price, but also whether it is primary or secondary. Carnival insurance is secondary, meaning it will only pay whatever any other insurance or warranty will not. That makes it less expensive than primary coverage, which will pay no matter what your other insurance will pay.

I believe the 3rd party insurance was also secondary; considering my health ins won't pay for anything out of the county, I guess that defaults any insurance I buy to primary?

Ugh, I hate this part of the vacation process, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

I've only had to use trip insurance for a cancelled cruise. A surgery kept us from being able to go. The 3rd party insurance paid the full cruise fare and it only took about 3 weeks to process.

I suspect that with cancellations, out of the country medical treatments and repatriations the travel insurance would almost always be primary since most of us don't have any other kind of insurance for that (maybe some credit card coverages). The only claim most of us might have other coverage for would be luggage damage or loss that might be covered on homeowners insurance.

I carry the travel insurance mostly for the medical evacuation coverage. I'd hate to be stuck in Belize paying out of pocket for a heart transplant. Get me back to Vandy.

In most cases the Cruiseline Protection plan is more expensive for less coverage, until you reach age late 60's and 70's. IMO the cruiseline Medical coverage is way minimal and the medevac coverage is marginal. When comparing prices, make sure you're comparing 3rd party policies that have comparable coverage to Carnival's. Most of the 3rd party policies are much higher coverages and more benefits than Carnival's. Note that Carnival does not offer/include "waiver of pre-existing conditions". ken

Thanks, everyone!

I actually found insurance through AIG tonight...only $53 pp for their 'gold' policy. It seems that is covers everything, but sounds a little too good to be true (the only think that I can't get is cancel for any reason...that had to be purchased within 15 days of booking).

When I booked our next cruise, the PVP asked if I wanted insurance through Carnival. I told her no because Carnival's doesn't cover preexisting conditions. She insisted they did and left me on the line while she checked with someone. When she came back she apologized because I was right. I found 3rd part coverage that covers preexisting conditions with no problem. If you have any on going health issues, you might want to think about this.

I'm just not going to spend $3,000 on a cruise and then risk it all trying to save $20 on the trip insurance. I'll take the full coverage 3rd party insurance any day. If I was on a river cruise that never left the US maybe. But traveling thru the Caribbean and out of the US/Canada I won't chance it.

Edited by travler27

Had anyone night and actually had to use trip/medical insurance through Carnival?

I have used 3rd party for medical on our previous cruise, but it gets quite expensive for the whole deal (cheapest I found was $170 pp where Carnival is $120).

Any opinions?

That really seems high. For our upcoming B2B in November. Total of 14 days in a suite, I'm 66 and wife is 65 and our total for very comprehensive coverage including preexisting conditions the total is $361 for both of us. I know when our kids go with us (mid 30s) their premium is about half of ours. If you add cancel for any reason that really drives up the cost.

Edited by travler27

That really seems high. For our upcoming B2B in November. Total of 14 days in a suite, I'm 66 and wife is 65 and our total for very comprehensive coverage including preexisting conditions the total is $361 for both of us. I know when our kids go with us (mid 30s) their premium is about half of ours. If you add cancel for any reason that really drives up the cost.

We are looking for ins for a b2b and would like to know what carrier you used?

I have never purchased Carnival's insurance but always buy other travel insurance on my own. I have had to use the travel insurance due to my then husband had a medical condition while we were on a cruise. We had to visit the ship doctor and they were very relieved that we did not have the Carnival insurance because they said it required hundreds of pages of paperwork for them. We ended up having to visit the hospital in Cozumel during the cruise and had to pay for medical care up front but were reimbursed when we got back home. What our regular medical insurance did not pay, the travel insurance paid so the incident ended up costing nothing. I usually pay about $120 per person to cover me for about 10 days total. Hope that helps.