QE2 Queens Grill Question

Cunard Fan

I'm thinking of booking a Q3 Stateroom on the QE2, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which deck I should request a cabin? Considerations such as size, comfort etc. or does anyone know of specific Q3 cabins they would recommend requesting? The trip is to be a special one, planning to propose to my partner, so I would like this to be as good as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cunardfan,

I have recently returned from another cruise onboard QE2 in QG grade and the Restaurant is superb. Many family members who travelled 40+ times over the years and mainly at QG level always used to opt for the Q3 cabins ie. 2078 / 2082 which are Midships and I am also told that 2065 is a very good cabin. My family have also travelled in One Deck cabins where in some of the cabins you get an elliptical window (I think this is how it is described) which is like an oval shaped window as opposed to just portholes usually 3 in a Q3 cabin.

Having only myself travelled in single grade cabins I cannot comment on the twin / double cabins but know from photos from my grandparents that the Q3 cabins are very spacious and have a large walk in closet that connects to the bathroom and a large sitting area & additional storage / closets opposite the bathroom.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Many of the Q3 cabins have their own benefits.

We often sailed on the Sun Deck; if you can get 8183, DO IT NOW! I liked being on such a small deck, only about a dozen other cabins. A bit higher and more forward than some of the other Q3s, if you think sea sickness might be an issue.

The Q3s on one and two deck are truly midships. From what I remember (gosh, I'm getting old at 44!), one deck has fewer cabins, since many/most of them are larger, being mainly Grill category cabins. Two Deck has more cabins (more traffic) and the Q3s are right around the corner from the Midships Lobby (altho two of the big suites are right off the Midships Lobby).

I'd go 8183 first, then select One Deck or Two Deck.

Congrats on the proposal! Wow.....what a way to formalize your relationship.

The Queen's Grill cabins on One Deck and Two deck are the original First Class cabins. Wonderful cabins! There are so many variations between cabins in the same grade that it would be difficult to give a definite answer about which is best. The cabins loacted on Two Deck are slightly smaller but some of them have better decor and arrangement that the Once Deck cabins.

While the Signal Deck cabins are just fine they are not original and getting up to them is like wandering through a rabbit warren! I'd opt for One and Two Deck any time. and the midship location is good... for getting to Chartroom Bar or Library or Queen's Lounge. To date I have had cabins: 3128,3072,2040,2080,2061,3050, 3052,3053,1005, 2001,, 2075, 1006, 8184, 8103, 1028 (4 times), 1026 (twice), 1047, 1053, & 2067.... plus three others that I didn't note down. Honestly, they were all good cabins, but I should say that 2067, last December could have done with a bit of a refurbishment.

Last December I had friends in the Carinthia Suite. Georgeous space. Definitely one day!

Stephen

We've sailed in Q3 cabins three times --

1051 -- v.nice cabin -- a lot of wood and gold on the walls -- large oval window --but as its set up for handicapped guests it had an annoying sliding door in the bathroom and no dressing room (just closets that were accessible from the main cabin room.

1049 -- our favorite -- same wood and gold -- same window--but regular bathroom and dressing room. No excessive motion.

2067 -- Not as pretty as the one deck cabins -- three portholes instead of the oval windows (this was somewhat nicer we thought ) It's right near the midships lobby. Plenty of space -- it did have a dressing room but it was a little different because it didn't connect through to the bathroom.

We've booked 8001 on signal deck for next time. Does anyone know anything about it?

Whylion

I've had Q3 cabins three times: 2074, 2086, and 2080... all on Two Deck with three portholes.

I recall 2074 being rather plain; and the others have lots of woodwork and detail. All three were luxuriously large. I like them NUCH better than other Queens Grill cabins I've had: 8014 (very nice but too 1970's and terrace is no big deal) and 8203 (way too much foot traffic outside door and windows!).

I think Two Deck has less traffic than One Deck as there are not many public places on Two... One Deck has more AND doors to outside deck space aft.

Michael

PS: I've also been in P, C, and M cabins (15 voyages since 1997) and liked them too... but Q3's are the best.

Everyone, thanks for all the replies so far. You are certainly a knowledgable lot when it comes to all things QE2. A lot of good advice so far, plenty for me to consider. Sounds as if choosing the Q3 stateroom is a good idea, I have noticed that the ones on one deck seem to be larger (385 sq. ft.) than the others. Travelling midships is probably better for us (in case of sea sickness with the soon to be (hopefully!) mrs cunard fan). Cabin 1049 sounds interesting, as do the ones above one deck. In fact, they all do!! Thanks again for your advice so far, any more would be much appreciated.

While the Signal Deck cabins are just fine they are not original and getting up to them is like wandering through a rabbit warren!

Stephen....I'll give you the later; it can be a maze getting up there, but, to me, that's what makes it nice; less people passing by, more intimate.

But, I do have a question about your statement regarding the Signal Deck cabins not being original.

Now granted, I was born in the 60s, and many of my experiences on QE2 were as a kid......and today, by the ripe old age of 44, my mind might be failing me. So, some insight, please!

We first sailed on QE2 in August 1969, just a few months after she was christened. This was just a trans-Atlantic crossing, and I hardly remember the crossing, much less the cabin location.

Luckily, just a few years later, I started keeping souvenirs. (My S.O. calls it junk! :eek: Out of the mouth of fools! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, in 72 or 73, we were in the Queen Mary (Grand) Suite for the World Cruise, the forward cabin on the Signal Deck. The following year, we were in the duplex Queen Victoria Suite (rooms 8002/Signal and 8102/Sun) for the World Cruise.

So, at least going back to the early 70s, I know that the Signal Deck cabins existed. Yet you say they are not original to the ship.......were these added later???? Can you explain?

[Editorial comment: I know...I know. Before someone calls me on it, I admit that I have called one of those cruises by the wrong name. In the 70s, QE2 only did a true World Cruise every other year. Between those years, she still did a big major cruise (also 90-110 days), but it focused only on one region of the world. Those interim cruises were called by names like "Great Orient Odyssey," or so on. However, because I can never remember which cruise was which, I call all the biggies a "World Cruise."]

But, I do have a question about your statement regarding the Signal Deck cabins not being original.

!

Anyway, in 72 or 73, we were in the Queen Mary (Grand) Suite for the World Cruise, the forward cabin on the Signal Deck. The following year, we were in the duplex Queen Victoria Suite (rooms 8002/Signal and 8102/Sun) for the World Cruise.

So, at least going back to the early 70s, I know that the Signal Deck cabins existed. Yet you say they are not original to the ship.......were these added later???? Can you explain?

The first block of penthouses, including Queen Anne and Trafalgar suites were added during the October 1972 refit.

The second block... atop the first and including the Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth were added in the 1977 refit... so you were not in the Queen Mary suite for the 72 73 cruise..... Ok... if you were just a nipper I can forgive you for getting the cabin number wrong.;)

The third batch of suites, between the forward group and the funnel were added during the 1987 Germany refit.

So.. while they are definitely 'old' they were not 'original'.

Stephen

Having looked at some of the deck plans I have noticed that quite a few of the one and two deck rooms appear to have inter-connecting doors, including cabin 1409 which was mentioned earlier. Are these doors intrusive within the cabin, most of all are they secure, do they increase sound levels between cabins? If anyone has any comments or experiences of them then I'm very interested to hear.

Cunardfan,

I My family have also travelled in One Deck cabins where in some of the cabins you get an elliptical window (I think this is how it is described) which is like an oval shaped window as opposed to just portholes usually 3 in a Q3 cabin.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Have stayed in one of these cabins and the window is very special.

Having looked at some of the deck plans I have noticed that quite a few of the one and two deck rooms appear to have inter-connecting doors, including cabin 1409 which was mentioned earlier. Are these doors intrusive within the cabin, most of all are they secure, do they increase sound levels between cabins? If anyone has any comments or experiences of them then I'm very interested to hear.

All you will notice is the small door knob. It must be unlocked from BOTH sides to gain access.

These cabins on QE2 are about as quiet as a ship's cabin can be! Just the creak of the woodwork... as it should be.

Stephen

:o Stephen....I stand in the corner, embarrassed, tail tucked between my legs. I stand corrected. I spoke with my Mother today, and even over 3000 miles of phone lines, I could "hear" her roll her eyes. Even at 80 years old, she remembers those things better than I do. She gave much of the same history as you did. And yes, our first few crusies were on the One Deck.

And that then brought a great conversation! ;) We spent over an hour talking about our times on board ship, the ports, the meals, the "unique" passengers, the cruisemates who became friends, the captains, and so on. We argued about a few things.....then she reminded me that her memory was still very good. At one point, though, we agreed that we had been in every cabin on Signal and Sun Decks, and we agreed that regardless of the Grill cabin we were in, the PG will always be our favorite! :D

:o Stephen....I stand in the corner, embarrassed, tail tucked between my legs. I stand corrected. I spoke with my Mother today, and even over 3000 miles of phone lines, I could "hear" her roll her eyes. Even at 80 years old, she remembers those things better than I do. She gave much of the same history as you did. And yes, our first few crusies were on the One Deck.

And that then brought a great conversation! ;) We spent over an hour talking about our times on board ship, the ports, the meals, the "unique" passengers, the cruisemates who became friends, the captains, and so on. We argued about a few things.....then she reminded me that her memory was still very good. At one point, though, we agreed that we had been in every cabin on Signal and Sun Decks, and we agreed that regardless of the Grill cabin we were in, the PG will always be our favorite! :D

Next time on board you should pick up a copy of David Hutching's excellent book: QE2 Ship for all Seasons. That one and Ron Warwick's book. Both excellent reference sources.

Yes, I like PG but my preference is Queen's Grill... on the North Atlantic. PG would be perfect for long cruises.

One hour conversations with you mum talking about cruises? You sound like you need a cruise fix real quick!

Have you dared to darken the doors of QM2 or are you going to remain loyal to the QE2?

Stephen

I don't want to start a whole argument here, but in my opinion the one deck q3 cabins are truly the nicest on the ship. I have sailed many times in 1048, 1050 and 1052 and know that they're really nice with wood ceilings and gold leaf cornices, etc. The cabins on two deck are nice but usually aren't as opulant. The q3's on boat deck are nowhere near as nice and were, I believe, not always the same grade.

After the "suites" on sports and signal were added Cunard sold these as B1 and B2 charging more for the rooms on 1 deck. Under this scheme the rooms on boat deck were, I believe, C category.

Anyway, just my opinion....

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. Taking everything into consideration I think I will go for a one deck stateroom. Going off the topic a little bit, I beleive that the ship will have some form of refit following its world cruise next year, does anyone know whether this usually involves refurbishment to cabins or is it just public rooms. Anyhow, I digress from the thread, thanks again everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read with interest the descriptions of Q3 cabins on QE2. Can anyone tell me if cabin 1050 is adapted for handicapped use? My DH and I have tentatively scheduled this cabin in 2006. Any details about the cabin would be greatly appreciated.

I like one deck for the ease of getting around & the door to the outside near the pool is very convenient.

One thing I will asy is that I had one of the cabins on One Deck that was connected to another by a door. I could hear conversation & "other things"(not related to an ocean liner's construction) through the door.

Good luck!

Hi Rotterdam,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with One deck cabins. Just how bad was the 'noise polution' from the adjoining room? Do you recall which cabin you were in? I have stayed in hotels were rooms have been inter-connecting, is it the same kind of experience do you know? I'm hoping that, should I get a cabin with an inter-connecting door, that 'neighbours' do not detract from the experience.

Thanks again everyone for all your replies.

Archived