Sea Pass Credit Card Hold?

I called RCI & the lady I spoke with read the policy to me. It states they don't obtain a "pre-authorization" on credit cards. They get authorization on a daily basis for what you spend for that day & then charge the actual amount on the last day of the cruise. I'm just not sure about this. I know hotels, etc. put "holds" on your cc for the amount of your reservation plus a little more. Maybe I'll call tomorrow & see if I get a different answer!

Hotels will authorize for the cost of the room plus usually $50/night for room service charges, tel calls, movies. etc. Basically the same as the cruise. They 'authorize' this money - usually it is taken off your credit card immediately basicially frozen.....so if you view your credit card on line during your cruise daily you can see it going up and up and up.

As I mentioned in another thread, I used my debit card on my last criuse for my SeaPass account and saw no extra authorizations when I checked it online. Authorizations for my port purchases showed up, but the only authorization or charge from RCI came at the end of the cruise once the SeaPass account was settled.

The only card I use is my debit card. The experience I have had is the following: Every night, I was charged for my purchases that I had bought that day. So, every day, those funds were reserved and at the end of the cruise, only 1 authorization for the grand total was submitted. Hope that helps. If you use a computer onboard to check your balance you will see a debit/credit for each day. When I used my Amex card on one of my cruises, the charges were created every night, it just had not been reconciled or authorized until the end.

Archived