Update on food question - Getaway

dalgirl

OK, this is from, of course, my perspective. Just returned from the Getaway (Breakaway last May and Epic last December). I noticed these differences:

1. The menus seem to be more interesting in the main dining rooms with lots of new choices and desserts. Lots of fish and seafood on this cruise. For the most part the food is very good (DH and Mom really loved the crab cakes), the soups were good, the salads good and the mains also good to very good. As for the selections on the menu that never change: the steak is still not tender, but the chicken is moist and very good (both Mom and I had this). Desserts are also good to very good in the main dining rooms and there are some new offerings.

2. The buffet: we actually ate dinner in the buffet a few times due to show conflicts - you can get in and out and make that 7:30 show with no problem (arrive at 7 for a good seat). Dinner was surprisingly good with carvings most nights. However, as always at lunch and dinner the desserts are mostly dry and unappetizing. Aim for the two cake offerings in the lower cases and also the cobblers are very good. Ice cream is, of course, ice cream. I don't know what the problem is with the small, individual desserts, I suspect they are difficult to mass produce, store on a small plate, and keep their integrity.

3. Specialty restaurants: We ate a Moderno and LeBistro this trip. Moderno is definitely an experience, a lot of meat, excellent in all aspects including the multi item salad bar - do NOT fill up here, otherwise you will need a scooter to get you back to your cabin;) As for LeBistro: I love this restaurant, I think the steak can rival Cagney's, BUT, they really need to change up the menu a little bit. At this point I can order without a menu. Food is good, but it is getting boring....

4. O'Sheehans: continues to be a disappointment. The menu is very limited and after 10pm you can't even order from the appetizer menu. Now you have people going to shows, dancing, listening to music and drinking and you don't offer an appetizer, but only large meals like hamburgers, fish and chips, etc? This should change now. Food here is OK, but does not seem very fresh. I ate the fish and chips and the taste was fine at the time, but I did not really feel well afterwards. Well all I can say for the next day was uh oh.... Dine at your own risk at this point. DH had no problem with the hamburger, so I suspect it was the grease.

I made a point to notice the vegetarian offerings. There was plenty of food to choose from, and several things every night in the free restaurants, buffet and specialty restaurants. Finding good food that is vegetarian should not be a problem. You will not get the variety that we meat eaters get, but you will not go hungry and you should enjoy the food.

I don't know if any of this helps, again food is very subjective. I heard people complain onboard about the food and others say how delicious everything was. I suspect reality is somewhere in the middle. But with all of these choices, if you can't find something to like, it is you....;)

Just came off the Getaway last week.

We have some different opinions on the food places.

We found the food at the buffet to be better for breakfast or lunch with dinner lacking.

We loved O'sheehans and ate there for breakfast and a late night snack a couple of times.

We too thought that the main dining rooms menu had more choices and the food was very good. Only thing i didn't realize was that all 3 main dining rooms would have the exact same menu's on the same day.

We also ate at Modernos. Love that salad bar and we also ate at the Italian place. What i noticed is that someone ordered the lasagna in the italian restaurant and it was the exact same piece you get for free in the main dining rooms.

We enjoyed the food on the Getaway very much also.

OK, this is from, of course, my perspective. Just returned from the Getaway (Breakaway last May and Epic last December). I noticed these differences:

1. The menus seem to be more interesting in the main dining rooms with lots of new choices and desserts. Lots of fish and seafood on this cruise. For the most part the food is very good (DH and Mom really loved the crab cakes), the soups were good, the salads good and the mains also good to very good. As for the selections on the menu that never change: the steak is still not tender, but the chicken is moist and very good (both Mom and I had this). Desserts are also good to very good in the main dining rooms and there are some new offerings.

2. The buffet: we actually ate dinner in the buffet a few times due to show conflicts - you can get in and out and make that 7:30 show with no problem (arrive at 7 for a good seat). Dinner was surprisingly good with carvings most nights. However, as always at lunch and dinner the desserts are mostly dry and unappetizing. Aim for the two cake offerings in the lower cases and also the cobblers are very good. Ice cream is, of course, ice cream. I don't know what the problem is with the small, individual desserts, I suspect they are difficult to mass produce, store on a small plate, and keep their integrity.

3. Specialty restaurants: We ate a Moderno and LeBistro this trip. Moderno is definitely an experience, a lot of meat, excellent in all aspects including the multi item salad bar - do NOT fill up here, otherwise you will need a scooter to get you back to your cabin;) As for LeBistro: I love this restaurant, I think the steak can rival Cagney's, BUT, they really need to change up the menu a little bit. At this point I can order without a menu. Food is good, but it is getting boring....

4. O'Sheehans: continues to be a disappointment. The menu is very limited and after 10pm you can't even order from the appetizer menu. Now you have people going to shows, dancing, listening to music and drinking and you don't offer an appetizer, but only large meals like hamburgers, fish and chips, etc? This should change now. Food here is OK, but does not seem very fresh. I ate the fish and chips and the taste was fine at the time, but I did not really feel well afterwards. Well all I can say for the next day was uh oh.... Dine at your own risk at this point. DH had no problem with the hamburger, so I suspect it was the grease.

I made a point to notice the vegetarian offerings. There was plenty of food to choose from, and several things every night in the free restaurants, buffet and specialty restaurants. Finding good food that is vegetarian should not be a problem. You will not get the variety that we meat eaters get, but you will not go hungry and you should enjoy the food.

I don't know if any of this helps, again food is very subjective. I heard people complain onboard about the food and others say how delicious everything was. I suspect reality is somewhere in the middle. But with all of these choices, if you can't find something to like, it is you....;)

Can't wait to sail NCL, thanks for the review :D BTW I heard the chicken wings were excellent at O'sheehans, did you find that to be true?

Wait a minute...

This is the first I'm hearing of this, so I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly...

You can't get wings or mozz sticks from O'Sheehans after 10pm?

Well that sucks if it's true. That was going to be my go-to late night snack if a show caused us to either have an extra early dinner or no dinner at all. Can someone confirm this?

Wait a minute...

This is the first I'm hearing of this, so I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly...

You can't get wings or mozz sticks from O'Sheehans after 10pm?

Well that sucks if it's true. That was going to be my go-to late night snack if a show caused us to either have an extra early dinner or no dinner at all. Can someone confirm this?

Crazy, isn't it?? We were a few minutes late and our server "found" some mozz sticks in the back for me, but they had already changed the menus around. And I love the dip - no dip:(

Just came off the Getaway last week.

We have some different opinions on the food places.

We found the food at the buffet to be better for breakfast or lunch with dinner lacking.

We loved O'sheehans and ate there for breakfast and a late night snack a couple of times.

We too thought that the main dining rooms menu had more choices and the food was very good. Only thing i didn't realize was that all 3 main dining rooms would have the exact same menu's on the same day.

We also ate at Modernos. Love that salad bar and we also ate at the Italian place. What i noticed is that someone ordered the lasagna in the italian restaurant and it was the exact same piece you get for free in the main dining rooms.

We enjoyed the food on the Getaway very much also.

The Tropicana room is suppose to have one different specialty each night different from Taste and Savor. But I didn't care enough to go around and check. And I agree that the Buffet is not as good at night as the restaurants, but when time is a factor, you eat and go.

Oh, forgot - no crepes station in the buffet on the Getaway in the evenings - NCL, this is not cool:rolleyes:

Crazy, isn't it?? We were a few minutes late and our server "found" some mozz sticks in the back for me, but they had already changed the menus around. And I love the dip - no dip:(

Well, then I greatly thank you for this new tip to add to my running list of tips :). I've heard good and bad things about the dip and I've heard good and bad things about the wings. How would you describe each?

Well, then I greatly thank you for this new tip to add to my running list of tips :). I've heard good and bad things about the dip and I've heard good and bad things about the wings. How would you describe each?

Not a wing person myself, but the dip is good. It used to be great, but didn't everything:)