Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay?

Yehootu

We took the small ship excursion to South Sawyer Glacier in late August 2012. Our second time in Tracy Arm the ship did not go beyond the drop off point for the S. Sawyer Excursion. The (I think they were) Harbour Seals were amazing. There were almost more than you could accurately count. If you have seen Glacier Bay, the seals are a must see. Just remember this excursion makes for a late arrival into Juneau, which limits your excursions there.

I have to say that Glacier Bay last year was the best experience I have ever had on a cruise. Even the staff couldn't believe our luck. The weather was beautiful in all ports and through GB.While cruising through the bay we saw eagles float by on tiny icebergs,whales swim by when we entered the bay, a bear swam across the bay (seriously, right under our balcony and the balcony of many on our cruise) and lastly an otter floated by on our way out of the bay. The naturalist mentioned that the bear was an incredibly rare sighting swimming in the bay, but the weather was unusually warm and he was probably trying to cool off. While it may have been unusual, the Glacier was spectacular. GB is my vote:D.

Let me just say that we reluctantly signed up for an Alaska cruise only because we needed to kill a week's time between events in Seattle. We expected not to care about the landscape and just enjoy the ship...relaxing for the week. Let me just say how wrong we were. It was absolutely gorgeous and the landscape was amazing.

We were on the Sapphire for that trip and it was the perfect size. We got very far down the fjord before having to turn back. The captain will only go as far in as is safe for the ship. Its incredibly serene, and there is a naturist onboard to tell you what things are. He narrates over loud speaker so you can hear him from whatever deck you're on. There are some places he cannot broadcast as to not disturb the wildlife. It starts with just a quiet glide down the fjord. Then, small blocks of ice are floating in the water. Then the blocks get bigger...growlers...then baby bergs. You feel like you're floating in a bowl of big ice cubes. Its an awesome feeling...being so upclose. I really dont think you can lose. Either cruise will be amazing. I'm so glad we went and I'd love to go again. Get a balcony cabin. This is one of those trips where you'll spend alot of time on your balcony because the landscape is the focus.

I have tons of pictures if you want me to post some.