Online Input of Travel Info

wulicny

Just received the info from my TA on putting in my guest registration information into the special" SeaDream website. This just got my juices flowing, and I thought I would try to generate some thread traffic by asking if anyone had any thoughts on the following ports and the SeaDream excursions and/or watersports:

Marigot, St. Martin (We'll probably go to Orient Beach)

Gustavia, St. Bart

Isles Des Saintes, Guadeloupe

St. John's, Antigua

Jost Van Dyke, BVI (probably the beach party and the Soggy Dollar)

Virgin Gorda, BVI

Thanks,

Bill

We have visited the ports you have listed below although the only new port to us on SD was St. Barts.

We rented a car through SD and explored St. Barts on our own. We enjoyed driving around the island, stopping at a couple of beaches for a swim and watching the airplanes land at the airport. The St. Barts' airport is famous or should infamous for its approach:eek:

We have visited Jost and Virgin Gorda many many times when bareboat sailing in the BVI so we did not take advantage of SD's excursions. If you have never been to Virgin Gorda I highly recommend visiting The Baths. Folks on our cruise last year who took that SD tour seemed to enjoy the arrangements. Exploring the Bitter End Yacht Club as well as Saba Rock is always fun.

One of our favorite places in the world to relax is Jost. We really enjoyed our evening at Foxy's in Great Harbor. SD runs a tender service after dinner to this classic and quite famous beach bar. It draws the yachties, which is how we found it about 15 years ago. If you have never experience a Caribbean beach bar this is a great introduction. The next morning SD moves over to White Bay where you can find the Soggy Dollar (home of the famous Painkiller) as well as Seddy's One Love (another classic beach bar).

St. John's in Antigua draws the yachties as well ... although they tend to be the more refined set like those you find at St. Barts. There are some incredible beaches on Antigua.

We found Isle De Saintes to be a very laid back place but it has been many years since we visited.

Sounds like Sea-Hawk will be able to give you the lay of the land as well.

Regardless, you will have a great time visiting these wonderful island.

You'll have a great time! We did Orient Beach several years ago on a Norway cruise -- water was rough, but a nice day. On SD, we passed on Orient and took a taxi to Grand Case for a great, but expensive, lunch.

Have not been to St. Barts. Did the "walk to the beach" with the Activities Director in Isles des Saintes -- nice, casual day. St. Johns was the catamaran snorkel trip. Loved the Baths in Virgin Gorda (and were there before the big ship crowds), and thought the drive to the other sound was fantastic -- the road goes right up the spine of the island and you get some absolutely incredible views. Stayed on SD instead of going to the Bitter End -- maybe next time.

Going to Foxy's is a must! It was a beautiful night -- not too crowded -- and great fun to watch the crew have a good time. Loved the beach party -- do make a point of wandering down to the Soggy Dollar for your PainKiller (you'll go right past One Love).

We'll be doing southern caribbean in January -- looking forward to a whole new set of islands!

Vandrefalk

My wife an I are on the Nov 13th sailing of Seadream II.

Anyone else on this cruise? This is our 1st time on Seadream. Hoping it is everything that is advertised. We too are on the same route and also would like to have some insights on the ports.

My wife an I are on the Nov 13th sailing of Seadream II.

Anyone else on this cruise? This is our 1st time on Seadream. Hoping it is everything that is advertised. We too are on the same route and also would like to have some insights on the ports.

That's the one we're on, Kaliks. Welcome aboard, and we'll see you in St. Thomas!

First of all, this is a great itinerary. We started in San Juan and ended in St. Thomas, but did every island you mentioned and wouldn't have changed any of them. In fact we were talking last night and would love to do it again.

St. Barts - We really were suppose to go to Nevis, but because of a medical emergency, got a late start and went here instead. The ship made it easy to rent a jeep, and we drove around. You got to see the airport. Just park on the hill overlooking the runway and let the planes slam dunk over you and onto the runway. Even without the planes for excitement, the view is gorgious. The beach we choose was Gouverneurs Beach. It is on the south side of the island, east of Gustavia and is goreous and uncrowded. There is no shade, or hotels, and bathing suits were optional. We were there later in the afternoon for a bit over and hour and it was perfect. Gustavia is also good for wine shopping, and if you like cigars, there are 2 good cigar stores.

Terre-de-Haut, Iles Des Saintes - You will be tendered in a very pictureasue bay and tendered into a lovely small town. We walked to a beach, not they go to from the ship. It was on a small road just south and east of town, over the runway and to the back of a hill. There is a stunning long beach (roughly 3/4 of a mile long), but it has riptides. You continue south and reach a half moon beach with some palm trees and sand. It was very private, and had only 4 other peopleon it. I believe it was called "Plage Figuier" and any local can point you in the right direction. If you go, wear a hat and bring drinks, the sun can be very hot, but the walk was beautiful. Back in town we picked up some local pastries stuffed with guava and pinapple.

Antigua - We tendered at Falmouth Bay and not St. John. Some in our party went bike riding with the ships bikes, and although they reported it was quite beautiful, they said it was very difficult at times, with traffic and many hills.

We went to a local beach the CD brought us to with the zodiac. Later we walked to Nelson's Shipyard, pretty and historical, then met a taxi driver who charged us $20 for about a 40 minute ride around, and he brought us up to Shirley Heights for a great panoramic view.

St. Martin - We were on the French side in Marigot and it was very easy to geta cheap rent a car right at the dock. In the morning we headed to the Dutch side to Philipsburg to shop. There were 4 other ships in town and it was crowded, but there were some great bargains on digital cameras, cologne, and of course cigars. We then drove up to Orient Beach. We parked at the Club Orient which was all clothing optional, but you can go left instead where it isn't. Water was nice, but nothing compared to the beaches we were on in St. Barts, and Isles des Saints. We drove around the airport, where there is this awesome beach and clubs right under the runway with the jumbo jets soaring within feet of everyones heads!

Tortola - Aren't sure you are going there. We tendered off the West End. Took a taxi to Smugglers cove beach with some others. Food and drinks were there, and the beach was beautiful. Taxi came back at a predetermined time.

Jost Van Dyke - Were suppose to have our beach party here, but the beach had worn away! Did stop here one evening so people could go to Foxy's. We had heard a lot about it, but decided to stay on board and party with some friends. Those who did go were a bit didapointed, saying it was empty of people and full of biting flies.

Virgin Gorda - Did the Baths tour. Left the ship in the morning, and the ship repositioned itself as we were at the Baths. If you have never been, go. There is nothing like it anywhere, and you get there before the crowds and it is very beatiful. After a long swim and a lot of photos, we crossed the island via covered, open sided "busses" and caught up with the ship in the North Sound. This is where we had our famous caviea and champaghni in the surf and our beach party. Great location, good for water sports. We then spent the later afternoon just sailing slowly around the Sir Francics Drake Channel. It was a great easy going evening that ended up in Jost Van Dyke and Foxy's.

Hope this helps. Shoot, now I am ready to book and join you!!

What wonderful summaries -

a few more suggestions -- if you don't want to pay for a snorkel excursion on St. Barts - go to Shell Beach. Just 5 minutes away from Gustavia and just wade in off the beach. Shell Beach also has a great little eatery and beverage establishment right on the beach.

On Iles de Saintes-- we highly recommend the beach walk guided by the Activities director. Take along your snorkeling gear (you can guess our bias) as there is again wonderful snorkeling on the guided beach walk. Be sure to put any food you bring in plastic bags and up on the picnic tables as the cute little goats come out of hiding when you are in the water. A number of our crazy cruise mates rented mopeds and went all over the island.

Jost Van Dyke was great in April 2005, beach was really good and the Soggy Dollar bar is a must see. Really good snorkeling at the far end of the beach and if you didn't make it to Foxy's the night before -- its only a 2 mile hike (or jog if you have more energy). Champagne and caviar splash was here on our two cruises and picnic was excellent. Several folks had massages on the beach.

At Virgin Gorda -- try to get your activities director to see what other boats are coming over from Tortola. If a high number on the day you are scheduled to go to the Baths, our wonderfully flexible activities director on SDI was able to move our start up by an hour to give us more time without crowds at the Baths (lots of barracuda and other great fish in the water). Another option is to go in with several other couples and for $800 for the day -- the SD activities desk can arrange a private sailboat for the day to take you to 3 or 4 islands. Alternatively if you don't want to face the Baths, stay on the boat and cruise by Richard Branson's private island and spend the day at Bitter End Yacht Club (cute stores and good snorkeling on the far right end of the beach).

We've never been able to dock at Marigot on the French side of St. Marteen (due to rough water and wind) and we've always been too lazy to do the America's Cup sailing adventure, but everyone we know on both of our SeaDream sailings loved this excursion. Again, on Orient Beach if you go to the far right end of the beach there is excellent snorkeling (thought you might get distracted by the views along the way).

Can't wait to read the reviews on the Antigua and Southern Caribbean cruises ;) .

Welcome aboard Kaliks!

My DH and I will be on the Nov. 6 sailing from West Palm to STT. We will be leaving the ship as you are embarking. We will be staying in STT for three extra days.

Bill (wulicny) and I have talked about getting together for a drink during that transition on the 13th. We haven't worked out details but let us know if you are interested.

Bill (wulicny) and I have talked about getting together for a drink during that transition on the 13th. We haven't worked out details but let us know if you are interested.

Right-o! Details to be determined, but we could have a very nice lunch in Charlotte Amalie, Kaliks.

And SeaHawk, what wonderful summaries. We may not trace your footsteps exactly, but it will be fun trying!

Would be nice to meet all of you...Would be nice to hear about the cruise from you Jen and Bill would be nice to meet you before we get on....Let us know your plans....

We will be arriving STT on 11/12 and staying at the Holiday Inn...

Can't wait to go

We are counting down the days here as well.

There won't be a lot open in downtown Charlotte Amalie on Sunday. Havensight will be open but there aren't any great restaurants there. We could meet at Coco Joe's, a beach bar/restaurant, at the Marriott. Open to suggestions:D

It is downtown and if memory serves me it is within walking distance of the Holiday Inn.

The pier is further away ... definitely a cab ride away.

I think Bill has been at Gladys' before so we will wait for him to weigh in:) We typical stay on St. John or, if we stay on STT, we stay out at the Marriott so I can't be sure on the walking distance.

Archived