My HUGE GEM review 9-26-14 New England Sailing parts 1-12

camasidaho

Thanks laura for that info. Wish we could have done a few more things but my hw and kids wanted a slower pace

This was a great cruise and great itenerary

I just wish we'd had better weather - esp in St John. Looks like this week it's all blue skies - damn them!! lol

My mom and I are going on the Gem next Saturday and am wondering the same thing.... what time is self assist? I have arranged for a car to pick us up at 930 to take us to the airport in Newark. Our flights are at 1pm.

You will be pushing it. My mom and I had Noon flights out of LaGuardia, and just barely made it. We didn't do the self assist, but were the first colored luggage tags, so were able to disembark about 9:30. Fortunately, we were able to get a taxi a block up from that busy taxi stand.

The self assist is great, but if you have a good bit of luggage--it is tough. Good luck and have fun!! This is one of the best cruises I've ever done!!

Looks like most of this review is out of date now that the Gem is finished with the new England route til next fall. That taxi stand in new York is crazy busy. Again around the corner to the left are hired cars. And about a block to the right also. If you sign up for Lyft which is a phone app you get the first ride free up to 25 bucks and it is operating in new York and we used it to get to lga. Lyft is basically like calling for a private licensed and insured private driver. Not cab licensed but with a clean drivers license. That way you can skip the cab line and get going quickly. Hope there are no parades or other delays and you cc could be