Who has sailed on the Forward? Really Foward. I'm mean the front of the front.

blnorman

Has anyone every sailed in Room R1 of the Fascination? It's a porthole room, but I'm kinda concerned. Would you consider upgrading the room to ocean view to get out of it? Think we will be okay? It is our first cruise after all, but I never thought we would be assigned room R1.

Has anyone ever booked a cruise and been upgraded if the ship wasn't full?

Thing is the rep who assisted me book my cruise no longer works for the company, and I have been assigned a totally different rep.

I just don't want our first cruise to be ruined due to a bad cabin assignment. Maybe the forward isn't that bad? Maybe I'm over thinking it? Maybe I'm not?

Somebody stop me (in my Jim Carey voice)!!!!!! Seriously..... anybody out there who can advise? (before I call to pay for any upgrade) ... lol

Has anyone every sailed in Room R1 of the Fascination? It's a porthole room, but I'm kinda concerned. Would you consider upgrading the room to ocean view to get out of it? Think we will be okay? It is our first cruise after all, but I never thought we would be assigned room R1.

Has anyone ever booked a cruise and been upgraded if the ship wasn't full?

Thing is the rep who assisted me book my cruise no longer works for the company, and I have been assigned a totally different rep.

I just don't want our first cruise to be ruined due to a bad cabin assignment. Maybe the forward isn't that bad? Maybe I'm over thinking it? Maybe I'm not?

Somebody stop me (in my Jim Carey voice)!!!!!! Seriously..... anybody out there who can advise? (before I call to pay for any upgrade) ... lol

I have not cruised that far forward, but in a room like two rooms down from R1 on the Elation. You can have just as much fun in an inside cabin as you can in the grand suite.

Do you get sea sick easily? Are you wanting/needing a view of the ocean from your cabin? I understand it is a porthole, but the portholes are not the largest of windows.

Happy sailing!

We stayed in the very front on the Imagination! I mean so front you could not go any further! HATED IT!!!! We both said that I would not take anything that close again! Even if it was free! It was that bad! Noise, motion, you name it.

We stayed in the very front on the Imagination! I mean so front you could not go any further! HATED IT!!!! We both said that I would not take anything that close again! Even if it was free! It was that bad! Noise, motion, you name it.

Wanted to let you know it was also a porthole cabin

I have stayed in the very front once on Deck 7. I was miserable. I am prone to Motion sickness anyway and the ship was rocking. Like standing in my room, I could feel the movement and even fall over. I did it because we got a "free window" basically one of those insides with a window. Was not worth it to me at all. It was also a very long walk to anywhere.

My preferred location is aft (even above mid ship) because it seems more convenient to everything.

However, this cruise, we are pretty far forward. Not all the way in the front, but near it. I was not thrilled about that, but the price was right. ;)

hmm..

First, yes there can be some noise. If the seas are rough you will hear the ship smashing into the waves (not a swoosh but a thunk) And if you are prone to being seasick, that part of the ship has the most vertical movement .

Now as far as upgrading, you say "you've been assigned R1" since R1 is a 1A (the cheapest room cost category) and you were assigned this cabin, I would say you booked under the absolute lowest fare category, so upgrading to an oceanview is going to be a significant cost. (current look says that a interior is $378 and the cheapest oceanview is $500, so you may get sticker schock at the cost of upgrading out of the category.

Now saying all of that, the cabin itself is not much smaller than a standard interior.. if you get lucky and don't have bad seas then the noise issue is not going to be a big deal for you.

I will say for the most part you are not in your cabin accept for sleeping and changing clothes so if you are not a light sleeper than it might not be so bad.

I don't mind noise or movement so I didn't have any complaints when I sailed all the way up front. To me, it's just farther to walk to the food or just about anything you do. Check the prices mid ship. Mid ship is less movement but there are no portholes mid ship. Portholes are fine for having a lower price room than OV with still being able to see out and get natural light in.

It's true, it depends on how rough the waters are. Lower cabins will feel it more. Just back from a 4J front (secret deck) on Empress level. It was perfect, but the seas were the calmest we have ever experienced. Like glass.

R1 on Fascination is a PT and not a 1a as someone previously posted. It is a standard size cabin with beds that allow for a twin or king configuration. However you will hear noise there, and there may be more motion. (Think of the ship like a seesaw. The ends move more than the middle.)

Edited by loanshark

I too have been forward, and yes, if seas are rough you'll hear the "thunk"..I didn't mind it, I don't let sounds bother me as long as I know what the sound is and where it's coming from. So, a lot depends on your personal tolerance of sound. I find it hard to read some posts about requiring absolute silence.

We were in a forward interior spa cabin on 11 on the Dream and the first or second night we had rough seas and it was very loud, methodical thumping most of the night, even that high up. Did not last the whole cruise. You just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I personally don't think I get sick easy... but I have never been on a cruise before. It sounds like it's more weather related than location based. Guess I need to start praying for better weather. Recently got off the phone with CCL and was advised I could upgrade but the room would still be located on the same deck and still close to the front. YIKES!!!

Guess I better suck it up ....and cruise on!!!!!!

Praying for calm seas!!!!! Praying for calm seas!!!!

My first two cruises were in R7 which is a porthole. I didn't mind it at all. It is very true that you do hear when the anchor is being lowered. Other than that, it was very quiet. Overall, I like the forward porthole.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had cabin M2 on the Paradise earlier this year & had noise from the ocean which to me was not that bad. The bad noises came from the gray area in front of the cabin since that is where the cabin stewards store the cleaning supplies & whatever else they use. Nice size cabin for what the cost is but would get a porthole cabin again but a little more away from the front of the ship, maybe 4 cabins back from the front of the ship.

My daughter and I had R2 on the Fascination and I had no issues with it. We loved having the porthole. I don't recall the ship having that much movement, but then again one night on my latest cruise with my aunt she was practically rolling out of bed due to the motion and I slept right through it!

I have sailed in cabin E6 on the Fasination. Although a few decks lower you would be in the same vicinity we were. When the ship anchored there were alarms we heard and the screeching of the anchor lowering. This always happened in the early AM hours, somewhere around 3am.

I would stay away from this area if you can.

I got off the Legend last week, and we had the cabin at the front of the ship on deck 6.

I wouldn't do it again, when in port - forget a sleep in.

Also, we bypassed a hurricane and still felt the forces of it on the ship - in our cabin we felt literally everything, and just in general when we got to rougher waters the room was the worst place to be.