Handicapped Parking - Germany & Sweden/Norway

Sequim88

Having seen many threads about renting cars and driving around it got me wondering about parking issues. Apparently (from reading posts) parking lots (or ramps) are common in town centers but what provisions are made in Germany, Sweden and Norway (the latter two being most likely for us to drive in) for accessable parking. Do they have a similar system as in the USA with some sort of vehicle ID? Anyone know if the common rearview mirror hanger placards would be acceptable? If not is there a way to obtain whatever is required prior to leaving home?

Also, are there designated parking spots on streets closer to attractions than central parking (or in smaller lots at attractions themselves)?

Thanks!

My daughter lives in Germany and I've spent quite a lot of time there and have never seen handicapped parking in that country. I recently cruised the Baltics, visiting Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Poland, Estonia & Finland. I did not see handicapped parking in any of the cities we visited. I'm not saying they don't have it, just I didn't see it. Since I have a debilitating disease, I'm pretty aware of most parking situations. Sorry. I hope this doesn't cause a hardship for you.

I can only give you advice about Sweden, since I don’t know the situation in the other countries. If your stop in Sweden is one day in Stockholm on a cruise you should not think about renting a car. Stockholm, like most cities in Europe is not designed for cars like many US cities are. I live in Stockholm, and rarely do I use my car to get around in the city. I leave it in the garage and use public transport, since it is so much more convenient. You will find it difficult and slow to get around and very difficult to park. There are parking spaces reserved for handicapped people but they are few and I don’t think it would be possible for a visitor to get a licence to use them.

If you are in Stockholm for several days, then you could consider renting a car for one or more days to visit places outside the city. As said, public transport is the best way to get around in the city, but if this is impossible for someone with a handicap, then taxis is the alternative.

Thanks for the info all around.

We are tentatively planning to visit Stockholm only via the cruise stop and then post-cruise rent a car in Copenhagen or Malmo and drive around. 1st priority is Växjö for emmegrant museum and some cemetary searches in Småland for wife's ancestors. Then depending on time/distances/cost drive as far north as constraints permit, cut over to Norway and back down south. We love to drive and seeing "territory" is a bit more important to us than seeing a lot of museums and "sights". The goal being to see as much of the country, even if from the car seat, as we can in 7 days. Targeting maybe 500km per day.

My wife can't walk very far and we are debating taking wheelchair due to space it would take up in what will be a much smaller car than we are used to. Two people & four suitcases won't leave much room for the chair. So distances from central parking to the select museums and sites we want to see may be critical. Hence the inquiry about closer parking.

As for a permit for designated parking....was sort of hoping, especially in Sweden, an official permit issued in another country would be acceptable - in particular one from Minnesota. ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived