Boat ride to Stingray City

hedy7813

length of the boat ride depends on which marina your tour leaves from

average is probably around 4 miles

a bigger boat might bounce less than a smaller boat .... but this also depends on boat design. A catamaran often feels more stable . . . .

how long that takes depends on the boat speed ... a sail boat might take over an hour and a fast motor boat 15 minutes. But a fast ride can feel much rougher . . .

When in the year are you going ... most of the time Cayman waters are pretty calm ... winter to early spring, less so at times . . . .

bottom line - no accurate answer to the question . . .

this past March I was diving in Cayman and since it was ruff on the east side we were diving on the north side, just a little farther out then the StingRay areas (there are actually two) Our boats holding 16 divers were moving at a good clip and it took at least 15 minutes to get to our dive sites. Plenty of spray was flying . . .

How long is the boat ride to Stingray City? Are there different size boats? I'm concerned about the choppiness of the water since I get seasick.

We went to Stingray City with Nativeways. It was a short drive from the cruise port to the marina where we boarded a 39 foot boat with an upper deck. There were roughly 25 people onboard. I don't remember exactly how long the ride to Stingray City was, but was something like 35-40 minutes. We visited in the month of August and the water was calm and not choppy at all.

Here's a picture of the boat we were on.

DSCF0314.jpg

Boats among tour operators do vary in size with some being larger and some being smaller, but typically the boat we were on was the average size boat we saw at Stingray City.

IMG_0319.jpg

There was one boat called MarineLand which was the largest one there and that one could hold up to 100 passengers!

f8b6c107-e8af-410c-a89a-440ce3a362d9_zpsd877cdfe.jpg

We did a tour with Celebrity and the boat they used was large. I am very prone to motion sickness and did take motion sickness pills before the boat ride. I sat on the upper deck outside and the ride was good. I also stayed in the water the entire time. I was fine, no problems for me at all.

The problem a few people had was from NOT getting in the water and just sitting on a boat that is anchored and is rocking back and forth. They felt sick. I just stayed in the water and was about the last one back on the boat. I would think a larger boat would be better for motion sickness.

How long is the boat ride to Stingray City? Are there different size boats? I'm concerned about the choppiness of the water since I get seasick.

I second the Nativeway Tour...There 4 of us, my 2 kids and my girlfriend and she gets very seasick, but was never bothered by the boat and the captain from Nativeway, he knew she wasn't fond of the boat ride, took it nice and easy for her. She actually wanted to do it again!!

He was so good!!! planted us in a spot with NOONE around us.

1174645_10151786802646749_1402938051_n.jpg.8ae68b778c457357a094b5d2bf66c6dc.jpg

1208675_10151786801676749_952438515_n.jpg.d2e53b994fa6521e33a128ab5db9046a.jpg

1235318_10151786802891749_1374243358_n.jpg.eebee6178ff4717a8b4d4e0283209b8d.jpg