Best RCI ship for Alaska cruise

jillba

16 of us just returned from an 11 day cruise tour with the cruise on Vision! Recommend it highly and the land tour is a necessary part! You need to see the interior as well as the south west corner of Alaska! We would have liked an additional day in Fairbanks and one more in Anchorage. The ship was great- some of our group were in inside cabins, some with window and some in balcony cabins. The usual ports were great, but Vision also goes to Icy Strait Point- probably the most real Alaskan port and that was a high light.

Try it - you will like it! Enjoy planning! You'll get lots of good information by reading these boards.

Definitely something in the Radiance class. Next year RCI is sailing Serenade 7 day roundtrip out of Vancouver or Radiance 7 day one ways alternating southbound northbound cruises out of Vancouver and Anchorage (Seward).

The glass on the Radiance class ships really brings Alaska to life!

16 of us just returned from an 11 day cruise tour with the cruise on Vision! Recommend it highly and the land tour is a necessary part! You need to see the interior as well as the south west corner of Alaska! We would have liked an additional day in Fairbanks and one more in Anchorage. The ship was great- some of our group were in inside cabins, some with window and some in balcony cabins. The usual ports were great, but Vision also goes to Icy Strait Point- probably the most real Alaskan port and that was a high light.

Try it - you will like it! Enjoy planning! You'll get lots of good information by reading these boards.

I did VOS to Alaska last year. Icy Strait was my least favorite port! Everything there, except for the nature walk which I enjoyed, was built just for ships so I personally found nothing authentic about it. Of my 4 Alaska cruises to various ports, it was the most disappointing.

White Star Railway in Skagway is fun in good weather. The glacier float plane in Ketchikan was awesome. I do not use ships tours, preferring to reseach and book my own for both budget and comfort reasons.

I much prefer the food and service aboard Serenade to that on VOS. I like have the specialty restaurants to choose from and found the food on VOS overall to be below RCI's usual standards.

That being said, I prefer the one way itineray and Capt. George on VOS was the best of the Alaska captains; his skills when getting us close to Hubbard Glacier were much applauded!

It depends on if you want to take a round trip or one way cruise. I was on the Vision southbound in May this year after a 5 day pre-cruise tour of Alaska. The round trip cruises are from Vanvover so your only pre or post tour option is Canada, not Alaska. If you don't plan on taking a pre or post land tour, either on your own or through RCI, I would go round trip as the airfare should be cheaper.

Do I think the Vision was the best ship in Alaska? Maybe - maybe not, but it was the only ship offering a one way cruise in 2005.

In 2006 the Vision is being moved to a 7 day roundtrip out of Seattle itinerary. Radiance will be the only RCI ship doing alternating one way trips.

Of course there are other cruise lines other than RCI to consider as well...

After reading through my prior post I noticed it sounds like I wasn't thrilled with the Vision of the Seas. Please let me clarify I loved the ship and I don't know where I could have found friendlier or better service. The only bad cruise is the one I'm not on.

Archived