Just back from the Aloha...

greathusky

I took the 8/7 sailing of the Pride of Aloha. I will attempt to break down my review in categories. Before I begin, I was overall pleased with the boat. If you go on this cruise, your main emphasis should be on Hawaii not the cruise. In that sense, the POA met all our expectations.

Food... not bad but a notch below Carnival in the buffet area. Less choices and less tasty. The main dining rooms were excellent. Never had a problem getting a table despite what time we went. I have to come to prefer free-style cruising as the way to go. You have much more flexibility with the dining times. We did try the specialty Italian restaurant because there was an opening day special for $5. Okay but didn't knock our socks off.

Service.... I saw a smile on everyone's face. Greetings and smiles were everywhere. Much more friendly than any international crew.

Excursions.....

Kauai - rented a car from Thrifty the first day. Drove along the north beach and saw many of the sites including a cool dry cave near Price town.

Took the zip line adventure on the second day. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The 7 lines transverse a beautiful valley. When you first see it, you might say that there is no way I'm going to do this but after you gone on the first couple, it's a piece of cake.

Hilo - took Safari Helicopters over the volcano. Also recommended. Friendly crew and cheap if you book by their web site.

Kona- Captain Zodiac. Another good trip. Highlighted with interesting historical facts sandwiched between some awesome snorkeling and fast raft rides. For those non swimmers out there like myself, kickboards are available.

Maui - rented car for two days. Visited vacationing relatives at the Marriott Resorts in Lahaina. Took the sunrise trip to the crater. Kids were too tired to really enjoy it (3:15AM) but I thought it was something that no one should miss.

Rental cars..

The shuttle were always there waiting. No need to call ahead.

Shows ....

The best one was the Cirque de Legs????. Don't miss this one! Unbelievable acrobatics.

Any questions. Fire away!

Hi,

I would like to know which Zipline tour you did. We will be in Kauai in October and definitley want to do this, there are 2 different companies that offer it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I used Thrifty on Kauai and Alamo on Maui.

No problem with Thrifty. Excellent service.

I did have minor complaints with Alamo. Their shuttle bus took a long time to pick us up on the pier in Maui. It seemed that all the other rental card shuttles were quicker. Also, we were waiting a long time for a shuttle back to the pier. In fact, a National shuttle eventually picked us up as a nice gesture.

In both cases, the office were open late enough to coincide with the departure time.

• 3 weeks later...
Kona- Captain Zodiac. Another good trip. Highlighted with interesting historical facts sandwiched between some awesome snorkeling and fast raft rides. For those non swimmers out there like myself, kickboards are available.

Any questions. Fire away!

I am going on POAm on 10/01. I have booked Captain Zodiac and have been confirmed online. However, I am considering cancelling this because . . .

I know it is for adventurous folks -- I am extremely adventurous. However, I am wondering what it is like to ride on a raft on the open water in very high speeds. Is there any chance of falling off the raft? I understand that there is nothing but a rope to hold onto. I once took a banana boat ride in the Bahamas where you straddle the inflated "banana" and hold onto a rope while a speed boat pulls you through the water. That was the most terrifying experience of my life. I finally made the speed boat operator stop and I climbed into his boat and rode the rest of the ride with him. It was horrible. I am a woman and do not have any faith in my upper body strength. If the Zodiac raft similar to a banana boat in that you have to hold on in order not to fall overboard. I, like you, cannot swim and if I have to worry about falling overboard, I would rather not go.

Help!!!! Please advise.

Archived