Speaking Spanish?

RocketJ

This may be a dumb question but since I've never been to a foreign country where English isn't one of the official languages (i.e. Canada, England, went to Germany with my husband who speaks the language) do I need to know much Spanish? I remember enough from High School to get myself to the bathroom (Donde esta el bano?") but that's about it!

TIA!

English is the language of money, so you'll have no problem in cruise ports. Spanish is a beautiful language and the more you know of it, the better off you are. But, the people you will encounter will know enough English to sell you whatever goods and services you need. A cultural difference, however, is the opportunity to negotiate, the first price doen't have to be the last price.

This may be a dumb question but since I've never been to a foreign country where English isn't one of the official languages (i.e. Canada, England, went to Germany with my husband who speaks the language) do I need to know much Spanish? I remember enough from High School to get myself to the bathroom (Donde esta el bano?") but that's about it!

TIA!

Hola RocketJ,

No need to worry. All you need to know is: " Cuantos (how much) Por Favor(please) Gracias, (thank you) and estoy muy barracho y quiero mortar. I think that it means, "I am very drunk and I want to die.":D You already know how to find the bath room. Ask them how much, before you get in a taxi and tell them where you want to go. They will take care of the rest. I know that they have heard their language butchered by us, everyday, but they are a fun people and all of them speak currency.

First off, you don't have to speak Spanish (or any language other than English) on most cruises leaving from US soil.

IMHO there is one main problem in how our schools teach foreign languages. There is a huge emphasis placed on correct spelling, syntax, conjugations, etc. Very little emphasis is placed on learning to communicate.

Even if you have horrible accent, most people in other countries (excluding the French) really do appreciate your speaking some of their language. Again, personal opinion, practice is the key. And, most of us aren't able to really practice a language on a daily basis.

So, go and have fun. Use the words that you know.

Charlie

(Question: If someone speaks two languages they are called bi-lingual. If someone speaks three languages they are called tri-lingual. What are they called if they only speak one language?).

(Answer: An American ;) )

Hola RocketJ,

No need to worry. All you need to know is: " Cuantos (how much) Por Favor(please) Gracias, (thank you) and estoy muy barracho y quiero mortar. I think that it means, "I am very drunk and I want to die.":D You already know how to find the bath room. Ask them how much, before you get in a taxi and tell them where you want to go. They will take care of the rest. I know that they have heard their language butchered by us, everyday, but they are a fun people and all of them speak currency.

I'm definitely going to have to practice the "drunk" one A LOT :D

Hint for that one:

• Write it down on a 3x5 card and make it a flash card.
  • Practice it every day
  • Take the card with you on the cruise.
  • Keep it in a specific pocket when you go ashore.
  • When you can't remeber which pocket it is in (or can't remember if you have a pocket) it's time to use the word. :D

Charlie

Hola Rocketj,

Don't forget to roll your R's, and as Charlie said, use the words that you know. I have some latino amigos that get a big kick out of my spanish sessions with them. My official title is "Vendejo Viejo." (Did I spell that right?):D

Charlie, I want to thank you for your service. I appreciate it.

Ok. This is your chance to practice your Spanish...

En general la mayoría de la gente que trabaja en Costa Maya y tiene contacto con los turistas habla o se puede comunicar en Inglés. Como pueden ver el Inglés se ha convertido en el idioma oficial del turismo.

En mi trabajo como vendedor, a dirario tengo contacto con turistas que utilizan el Inglés (aún que no lo hablen bien) para comunicarse en centros turisticos, aún cuando su lengua materna sea otra.

Mi recomendación es no preocuparse de mas por el asunto del idioma, recuerden que aún que no hablen Español, solamente estarán en Costa Maya un promedio de 7 a 8 horas y por lo que veo todos conocen las palabras básicas: Cerveza, baño, margaritas, cuanto cuesta, por favor y gracias.

In a few words, after a few margaritas you'll speak perfect Spanish!

Ok. This is your chance to practice your Spanish...

En general la mayoría de la gente que trabaja en Costa Maya y tiene contacto con los turistas habla o se puede comunicar en Inglés. Como pueden ver el Inglés se ha convertido en el idioma oficial del turismo.

En mi trabajo como vendedor, a dirario tengo contacto con turistas que utilizan el Inglés (aún que no lo hablen bien) para comunicarse en centros turisticos, aún cuando su lengua materna sea otra.

Mi recomendación es no preocuparse de mas por el asunto del idioma, recuerden que aún que no hablen Español, solamente estarán en Costa Maya un promedio de 7 a 8 horas y por lo que veo todos conocen las palabras básicas: Cerveza, baño, margaritas, cuanto cuesta, por favor y gracias.

In a few words, after a few margaritas you'll speak perfect Spanish!

AHA! I understood most of that so I can still READ Spanish LOL. I think I can manage the basics :-).

AHA! I understood most of that so I can still READ Spanish LOL. I think I can manage the basics :-).
Y yo tambien. Muchas gracias. Hablo espanol un paquito, pero no entiendo bien.:D

Have fun. It's Mexicos national pasttime.

All I will say is that the little bit of spanish I spoke with the taxi driver on the way back to the pier-- which resulted in a bit of real communication --was one of the highlights of my day to Costa Maya.

Attempting to speak the native language is always appreciated (even with Francophones).

Su

• 4 weeks later...

Archived