Splendidia 26 Dec Two questions New Years at sea and Yacht club

Wilcharl

I am going on my honeymoon on the Splendidia

We leave on the day after Christmas from Barcelona and will be at sea for New Years

Anyone ring their new year in at sea? What are European cruises like for New Years ?

Also I heard someone on the forum mention upgrading to yacht club after booking

Is this possible ? Do I do it thru my travel agent or directly thru msc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going on my honeymoon on the Splendidia

We leave on the day after Christmas from Barcelona and will be at sea for New Years

Anyone ring their new year in at sea? What are European cruises like for New Years ?

Also I heard someone on the forum mention upgrading to yacht club after booking

Is this possible ? Do I do it thru my travel agent or directly thru msc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wil,,I can only speak to your Yacht Club question,,there are others here that can better explain the New Years experience.

If you want to book the Yacht Club,,I would definitely do it as soon as you can. There are only 69 YC staterooms and they fill up fast,,especially for a New Year's sailing. If you have already booked through a TA,,you will have to go back to them to upgrade. If you booked through MSC,,they can change your reservation instantly so long as there are staterooms available.

Only celebrated onNew Year on a MSC ship. I guess it depends where you are and what the weather is like on what happens. We were at anchor of Madeira and that was truly magical. After a special gala dinner we all went up to the pool deck to watch the fireworks onshore. Madeira has different parishes and they kind of compete with each other to out do themselves with their firework show. It lasted 45 minutes. I loved the actual point when the clock struck midnight. There were 4 other ships anchored in the bay alongside us and listening to all their horns go off was great. Also loved hearing Happy New Year in so many languages? getting kissed twice by so many of the crew wasn't exactly a hardship!

It was a mild night, so we didn't need our jackets and were up there in our evening gowns. The Prosecco certainly flowed that night! Party was meant to last until 2ish, thanks to a group of my fellow Scots, we formed an area we Christened Scotch Corner and kept it going until 4am. The Captain and his officers joined us, at first attracted by the men in their kilts and wanting photos. That helped keep the bar open longer.

I've no idea if that evening was typical or not but it is the best Nee Year party I've ever been to. Being in Madeira was what made it truly magical.