Will this plan work?

mirthmaiden

Our family of 6 is on Legend OTS arriving in GC on 11/21/05, in port from 9am to 5pm. Here's the tentative plan:

Stingray Sandbar tour with local company (not through RCCL)

then

Sea Grape beach for some relaxing

then

stop at Hard Rock Cafe for shirts

then

tender back

Is this plan feasible? I have no sense of how long things take. From everything I've read so far, the tender lines on and off the ship are horrible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What time is your stingray tour? I have one coming up that is from 9-11:45 with Nativeway.... If yours is about that long you should definitely have time for the beach (not sure where Sea Grape is though). Just remember the tender in Grand Cayman is a bit tedious. We stood in line over an hour when we were there. The line was way out into the street. So that being said make sure you have atleast an hour to get onto the ship.

I am hoping to go also with Nativeway, and 9:00 would be great, but I am worried that we will not be able to get off the ship in time since we're booking independently. Will they wait for us?

Thanks for the great advice on these message boards!

I don't want to worry you, and I don't know RCCL's tendering plan, but since GC is a tendered port it will take some time for you to get to shore. Allow a minimum of an hour from the time you are scheduled to arrive at GC, and even more to play it safe. Understand that many people will want to get to shore early and if RCCL is like Carnival, they will give priority to those who have booked their excursions through the cruise line.

In my own case, our ship arrived in port 1/2 hour later than planned, which, of course, threw everything off. The late arrival would have caused us to miss our first excursion, but for the fact that the excursion company went WAY above and beyond the call of duty to make it work for us.

Jeff

Mirthmaiden,

A great tour with Nativeway is Ray,reef & Rum Point beach. Rum Point is a beautiful uncrowed beach with soft white sand, hammocks & water toys. This is where they serve you lunch, included in the tour. You should still have time to go to the Hard Rock.:)

I have read posts on CC that say just let them know you have a reservation for an excursion and you need to get off even though I booked through Nativeway, not Carnival. Most say they don't even notice one way or the other. We will see, I have never done it this way before. I will be down there waiting to get off and hopefully we can get it done quickly. I have to meet by 8:45. I have also seen where if everyone with a reservation is not there, they (NW) will wait for you. I think in GC they understand the tenders are slow. Just hope it all works out!!:D

When we were in Belize we needed to be out on the first tender. I got to the line at 7:20. Not only did we make the first tender out, I was first in line. :) Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Thanks for all the replies. We've pretty much decided to try the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour with Nativeway instead of going to the beach on our own. The only problem is that their website says the tour departs at 9am and, of course, that's what time our ship gets into port. I've e-mailed Nativeway and asked them if they will wait for us. There are only 3 ships in port that day, and the other two arrive at 7am. I don't know if that's good news or bad news for us! I guess it could mean that they'll have enough people on the earlier ships and not be too motivated to want to wait for us :-(

Hi smrtypnts! Yes, I will do that.

FYI for anyone else interested in the RRR tour, Sharon from Nativeway e-mailed me back to confirm our reservation and they are meeting us at 10:15am at the dock, not 9am like the website says. I take it that they are flexible depending on who is interested, what ship, times, etc. I'm glad I didn't just assume that this tour would be impossible for us because of the start time.

Archived