Utohhhh Hurricane Heading To Caribbean

FireEater

Just heard on the news

Tropical Storm Gonzalo Nears Leeward Islands; Hurricane Watch for Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico.

Gonzalo is moving toward the west at 10 to 15 mph, and is expected to steadily gain strength over the next few days.

Hurricane watches and tropical storm warnings have been issued for Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the British Virgin Islands.

LOL!! I LIVE in St Thomas! Just spent the past 2 hours putting up hurricane shutters--have more to put up tomorrow. Ran around emptying the trash (involves trip to roadside dumpsters as we DO NOT have trash pick-up--one of the many surprises of living in paradise), making sure my vehicles have full gas tanks (in case there is a power outage and no gas), and making sure I have enough fresh water on hand. I will be eating all the ice cream in the freezer tonight in case we lose power--one of the nicer surprises of hurricanes--don't want the ice cream to melt!:D I'm sure all you Florida & SE US people know what I'm going thru!!!:p Feel sorry for the Merchants in town--Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday are good cruise ship days for them, don't know how many ships will be diverted.

We are now under a Hurricane Watch and a Tropical Storm Warning--that means we will definitely have a tropical storm and may have a hurricane. Batten down the hatches & full speed ahead!! Stay safe all of you at sea!!:)

LOL!! I LIVE in St Thomas! Just spent the past 2 hours putting up hurricane shutters--have more to put up tomorrow. Ran around emptying the trash (involves trip to roadside dumpsters as we DO NOT have trash pick-up--one of the many surprises of living in paradise), making sure my vehicles have full gas tanks (in case there is a power outage and no gas), and making sure I have enough fresh water on hand. I will be eating all the ice cream in the freezer tonight in case we lose power--one of the nicer surprises of hurricanes--don't want the ice cream to melt!:D I'm sure all you Florida & SE US people know what I'm going thru!!!:p Feel sorry for the Merchants in town--Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday are good cruise ship days for them, don't know how many ships will be diverted.

We are now under a Hurricane Watch and a Tropical Storm Warning--that means we will definitely have a tropical storm and may have a hurricane. Batten down the hatches & full speed ahead!! Stay safe all of you at sea!!:)

Yes,,,we here in South Florida know all about Hurricane prep!!! Stay safe!!! We have a cruise next October to meet up on!!!:D

How did it go? Practice for the next one or you just finished cleaning up?

How did it go? Practice for the next one or you just finished cleaning up?

Hurricane "Gonzo" was a no show in St Thomas! We had a little wind, a little rain and not much more. We did manage to get all our hurricane shutters up--which we plan on keeping up until we get back from Italy in November. Our hurricane season goes to the end of November, with most of the storms occurring Aug 15th to Oct 15th. For us to travel in Oct it is a crap shoot, and sometimes, Murphy's Law. We also have a double whammy--most times, we fly from St Thomas to Miami--so we have to watch out for storms both in St Thomas and Miami (even when not traveling, we have to watch this as most of our day to day supplies come from Miami. Major storms=empty shelves in the stores!!)

St Maarten, on the other hand, did not fare as well. I haven't heard much about the state of the beaches (most likely, a lot of the beach areas were washed away), but at least one person died, some 40 boats were destroyed, and they are still accessing damage to the port--hopefully, the Oct 18th sailing of Divina will still call on St Maarten. I know all the port calls for St Thomas were cancelled for both Tuesday & Wednesday--a huge loss of income for the shop keepers and the Virgin Islands as well--it was a shame as today was beautiful in the Virgin Islands!!

Putting all the shutters up was a major pain, but better safe than sorry!! Hopefully, now that they are up, they won't be needed!

Thanks for asking, FireEater!

Susan