Virtual Balconies

HollandAvery

So I just learned that RCL has been trying out virtual balconies (sorry I'm behind in this info) and I thought this was so cool! A great way to get people to feel better about booking interiors.

I was wondering if you guys thought Carnival might try this out in the future?

I love Carnival and would like to continue to sail with them but the idea of trying out a virtual balcony is pretty appealing and the newest ship planning to be released next month is tempting for our wedding cruise.

Anyway, back to my point...do you think Carnival will sooner rather than later add this cool new tech?

Maybe they aren't as great as they seem...but real time views of port and the ocean seem nice in a cabin that doesn't have a window even if it's just a screen!

So I just learned that RCL has been trying out virtual balconies (sorry I'm behind in this info) and I thought this was so cool! A great way to get people to feel better about booking interiors.

I was wondering if you guys thought Carnival might try this out in the future?

I love Carnival and would like to continue to sail with them but the idea of trying out a virtual balcony is pretty appealing and the newest ship planning to be released next month is tempting for our wedding cruise.

Anyway, back to my point...do you think Carnival will sooner rather than later add this cool new tech?

Maybe they aren't as great as they seem...but real time views of port and the ocean seem nice in a cabin that doesn't have a window even if it's just a screen!

Maybe I am behind the times.. What is a virtual balcony?

Maybe I am behind the times.. What is a virtual balcony?

RCL has introduced their new interior virtual balcony rooms that have large floor to ceiling screens that show images of the ports and ocean in real time as if you were looking out from a balcony.

RCL has introduced their new interior virtual balcony rooms that have large floor to ceiling screens that show images of the ports and ocean in real time as if you were looking out from a balcony.

From which vantage point? I don't know if I'd like that or not.

Some things can't be replicated: the smell of the sea air, the breeze, the sound of the waves crashing...

Edited by Herbaltees

I guess the reason I find it attractive is because although the real thing is of course always better, sometimes that isn't an option because of pricing. If I can only afford an interior I'd at least be happy to have something like a virtual view instead of a blank wall.

I'd like to take over 100+ cruises one day so I'm guessing I'll be sailing interior quite a bit...so this would make it a lot easier to be comfortable with not completely having a view.

I think this is a great idea! The view is not the only reason that we book balconies, but it would surely be an added bonus from a inside cabin. Everyone can't have a balcony cabin for a variety of reasons so I think this would be really cool.

Disney started this but they're more window sized and include animation

I haven't heard of any plans for carnival to follow suit, and I suspect the closest comparable on carnival in the foreseeable future will be tuning your tv to the bridge cam :D

I guess the reason I find it attractive is because although the real thing is of course always better, sometimes that isn't an option because of pricing. If I can only afford an interior I'd at least be happy to have something like a virtual view instead of a blank wall.

I'd like to take over 100+ cruises one day so I'm guessing I'll be sailing interior quite a bit...so this would make it a lot easier to be comfortable with not completely having a view.

I was thinking, that the cost of this technology would increase the price point of interior's. Has the price of the INT's on the other line, increased?

We were in a virtual balcony on Navigator of the Seas. We are normally balcony people, but this time we just could not afford it, so we opted for the virtual. It really does beat a plain interior. It was a big floor to ceiling screen that showed the portside of the boat. It had sound too. There was even a curtain that you could pull closed so that no virtual snoopers could watch you change clothes. One strange thing about the virtual balcony, it was on a side wall in the cabin, not on the wall where you would find a normal balcony - that threw me off. Naturally, given the choice, we would opt for the real deal, but it really was not that bad, we saw birds flying by, could watch what was going on in port, and it was not a dark room. You could turn your balcony on and off whenever you wanted to.

We were in a virtual balcony on Navigator of the Seas. We are normally balcony people, but this time we just could not afford it, so we opted for the virtual. It really does beat a plain interior. It was a big floor to ceiling screen that showed the portside of the boat. It had sound too. There was even a curtain that you could pull closed so that no virtual snoopers could watch you change clothes. One strange thing about the virtual balcony, it was on a side wall in the cabin, not on the wall where you would find a normal balcony - that threw me off. Naturally, given the choice, we would opt for the real deal, but it really was not that bad, we saw birds flying by, could watch what was going on in port, and it was not a dark room. You could turn your balcony on and off whenever you wanted to.

Actually sounds pretty cool, if you can't have the real thing, of course. :)

From which vantage point? I don't know if I'd like that or not.

Some things can't be replicated: the smell of the sea air, the breeze, the sound of the waves crashing...

Honestly, those three items you mentioned wouldn't be hard at all to replicate. Artificial scents are pumped in throughout all of Walt Disney World from the utilidor pushing them up into Main Street to attractions, such as Soarin' and Mickey's Philharmagic. Even hotels are starting to utilize artificial scents in their lobbies, such as Westin's recognizable Breathe Westin. Le Meridien is now selling their lobby scent, LM01, in candle form on their online store.

The breeze could be replicated by adding discreet strategically placed fans. These are also used throughout various attractions in Walt Disney World to simulate effects, such as traveling through space in Space Mountain and making the disabled Yeti animatronic appear to grab you when passing it with a combination of strobe lighting effects at Expedition Everest.

The sounds could be accomplished through the use of speakers playing white noise effects on loop with an option to enable or disable the effect.

Edited by Disconnections

Honestly, those three items you mentioned wouldn't be hard at all to replicate. Artificial scents are pumped in throughout all of Walt Disney World from the utilidor pushing them up into Main Street to attractions, such as Soarin' and Mickey's Philharmagic. Even hotels are starting to utilize artificial scents in their lobbies, such as Westin's recognizable Breathe Westin. Le Meridien is now selling their lobby scent, LM01, in candle form on their online store.

The breeze could be replicated by adding discreet strategically placed fans. These are also used throughout various attractions in Walt Disney World to simulate effects, such as traveling through space in Space Mountain and making the disabled Yeti animatronic appear to grab you when passing it with a combination of strobe lighting effects at Expedition Everest.

The sounds could be accomplished through the use of speakers playing white noise effects on loop with an option to enable or disable the effect.

That's true. And disney's soarin ride is amazing. At one point we could smell the pine forest.

But with all of this technology, would the price of an INT need to increase? It would be a novelty the first time. After that I suppose I'd be back to the real thing, at least an OV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app