NJ Hotels before and after EOS Cruise Oct.23-Nov.01

Joshecho

Hello to All!!!

I’ve been reading posts since I registered as there are tons of valuable information my family can use on our trip with the Explorer of the Seas on Oct.23 to Nov.01/14. My family of 4(2 adults and 2 boys) will be driving from Toronto. Reading the posts specially from 138 East, we’ve decided to stay in Parsipanny NJ the night before embarkation. I tried to book hotels today in Parsipanny and it seems to be more pricey compared to North Bergen(3* Meadowland View Hotel), Pompton Plains(3* Best Western Plus Regency House) and Budd Lake(3*Holiday Inn). We’re planning to stay one night before and 4 nights after the cruise. We’re planning to go to Woodsbury Outlet, Jersey City and perhaps New York City(depending on NJ hotel cost) after the cruise.

Any information anyone can share on which hotel to book before and after our cruise is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

I will respond with more details this evening. I'm not a big fan of North Bergen on Hotwire Because it is very urban and you could end up on the route 1/9 truck route.

What is your hotel budget? Have you considered a

park/sleep at Newark airport? Look at trinityreservations.com for their offer with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation for 4 people. It's a great deal at a little over $200 tax included.

Joshecho,

Just a quick response before Carol (138east) posts back with more detailed information for you re. the three hotels/locations you mentioned in your original post...

Budd Lake is nowhere near NYC or Bayonne; it's way out in the sticks, literally. Mrs Post Captain (who used to spend some time there in the summers when she was a child) says to tell you NO! NO! NO!

And we both would tell you NO NO NO to the Meadowlands View Hotel in North Bergen. I know nothing about the hotel itself, apart from the location--which is on an extremely busy road (Tonnelle Avenue) with heavy truck traffic, close to the confluence of a jumble of highways (routes 3 and 495, as well as I-95) that feed into the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan. It might be adequate for your needs, but it certainly would not be anywhere near my first choice. For further info, check out the reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46679-d98221-Reviews-Meadowlands_View_Hotel-North_Bergen_New_Jersey.html

I'm only vaguely familiar with Pompton Plains; again, I can only say that it isn't the most convenient place to stay if you want to make some trips into Manhattan.

Sorry to be so negative on these three choices, but I just wanted to steer you clear of making a mistake. I'm sure Carol will be able to give you some concrete, positive suggestions.

I will respond with more details this evening. I'm not a big fan of North Bergen on Hotwire Because it is very urban and you could end up on the route 1/9 truck route.

What is your hotel budget? Have you considered a

park/sleep at Newark airport? Look at trinityreservations.com for their offer with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation for 4 people. It's a great deal at a little over $200 tax included.

Thank you for the speedy reply, 138east and Post Captain.

Our budget is $100/night and we prefer at least 3 stars.

I will check trinityreservation later. We are also thinking of parking at the port.

Any input on Pompton Plains? Best Western plus Regency rate of $95CDN per night with breakfast looks very attractive. It is also 45 minutes to the Port.

Thanks all!!!

Edited by Joshecho

Parking at the port is going to be $171 for a 9 day cruise. This would make sense if you wanted to hop right into your car and head back to Canada, but you're not doing that. On top of the $171 you have to pay for a hotel room somewhere, and that's easily going to be in the $100+ range on a weekday night. IMO the park/sleep package at the Ramada makes a lot of sense for you at $208 tax included including 14 days parking and round trip port transportation for all four of you. In fact it's a steal.

$100 is an extremely tight budget for any post cruise hotel in this area that is at least 3*. Your choices are very limited. The best I can find for you is the Clarion in Secacucus which used to be the Crowne Plaza. Bus stop to Manhattan is close by. Hotel has a pool for the kids. Free parking. The best deal on a this as a named hotel is on hotels.com for $99 plus tax cancellable. However, it appears that this hotel is on Hotwire for $83 plus tax as a Secaucus 3* hotel with a 65% approval rating. You are so late in booking that you should consider prepaying.

Parking at the port is going to be $171 for a 9 day cruise. This would make sense if you wanted to hop right into your car and head back to Canada, but you're not doing that. On top of the $171 you have to pay for a hotel room somewhere, and that's easily going to be in the $100+ range on a weekday night. IMO the park/sleep package at the Ramada makes a lot of sense for you at $208 tax included including 14 days parking and round trip port transportation for all four of you. In fact it's a steal.

$100 is an extremely tight budget for any post cruise hotel in this area that is at least 3*. Your choices are very limited. The best I can find for you is the Clarion in Secacucus which used to be the Crowne Plaza. Bus stop to Manhattan is close by. Hotel has a pool for the kids. Free parking. The best deal on a this as a named hotel is on hotels.com for $99 plus tax cancellable. However, it appears that this hotel is on Hotwire for $83 plus tax as a Secaucus 3* hotel with a 65% approval rating. You are so late in booking that you should consider prepaying.

You are precisely correct and cost effective to book Ramada with free parking and shuttle. I will book it tonight.

Post cruise, would have input on Pompton plains, NJ? We're leaning towards Best western plus Regency House if Pompton Plains is a good tourist area to stay.

Honestly I didn't even know where Pompton Plains was until I pulled it up on a map. IMO it's way out in the middle of nowhere. Years ago we lived in Summit and Paramus/Ridgewood and it was at least an hour commute into Manhattan by train and PATH.

What do you want to do in the NY area besides go to Woodbury Outlets (which you could do on your way home)? Secaucus is ideal because you have reasonable bus transportation into Manhattan and you are out in the middle of the Meadowlands.

Currently checked in at Ramada Newark and checking out in an hour to board the shuuttle to the port.

I'd liked to take this time to extend my gratitude and thank you to 138East

her valuable information in making our trip a pleasant one so far.

We opted for Clarion Secaucus port cruise.

Cheers to all!!!!