Carnival Ecstasy Drydock

bvhboat

dry dock is 10/10 - 10/24 so yes it is going on right now.

only minor 2.0 and yes it will be back in service by 11/21

here's the upgrade details:

Ship Refurbishments and Renovations

Planned for October 2014 Dry-Dock

·******** Routine hotel maintenance

·******** Cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting and tile work in lounges and public areas

·******** Fitness Center and Spa Carnival upgrades

·******** Club O2 upgrades

Fun Ship 2.0

·******** RedFrog Rum Bar – located at pool area*

·******** BlueIguana Tequila Bar – located at pool area

Edited by falkcor

dry dock is 10/10 - 10/24 so yes it is going on right now.

only minor 2.0 and yes it will be back in service by 11/21

here's the upgrade details:

Ship Refurbishments and Renovations

Planned for October 2014 Dry-Dock

·******** Routine hotel maintenance

·******** Cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting and tile work in lounges and public areas

·******** Fitness Center and Spa Carnival upgrades

·******** Club O2 upgrades

Fun Ship 2.0

·******** RedFrog Rum Bar – located at pool area*

·******** BlueIguana Tequila Bar – located at pool area

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know someone on board right now and he was told by the department head he is working with that it's a $200 million dollar upgrade. He said it's unbelievable how many people are working at the same time (he estimates 1,000)!

I know someone on board right now and he was told by the department head he is working with that it's a $200 million dollar upgrade. He said it's unbelievable how many people are working at the same time (he estimates 1,000)!

I would say that the entire shipyard period, including the technical maintenance, would be $200m, but the refurbishment/upgrade may be 60-65% of that. To do a simple refurbishment of carpet, paint, and upholstery, I've seen 1500-2000 sub-contractors onboard, and that does not include the shipyard's workers doing the technical stuff.

I guarantee you it is NOT a $200 million upgrade. The ship 'only' cost 275 million to BUILD. The huge transformation of destiny to sunshine didn't even cost that much.

I would bet you $200 million.

this is a low level, regular dry dock renovation with the apparent addition / transformation of 2 bars.

I guarantee you it is NOT a $200 million upgrade. The ship 'only' cost 275 million to BUILD. The huge transformation of destiny to sunshine didn't even cost that much.

I would bet you $200 million.

this is a low level, regular dry dock renovation with the apparent addition / transformation of 2 bars.

$200m might be high, and looking the ship up, I see she is 23 years old, so my estimate of the refurbishment/technical would shift considerably to probably 65-75% technical. At this point in a ship's life, there are major inspections, hull thickness testing, structural steel replacements, and mechanical overhauls that drive the cost of drydocks up considerably, which is why most lines trade these older ships to lines with different demographics and profit margins. And that $275m in 1991 is equal to almost twice that today.

The Owner's Suite pics are out-of-sight! We booked a Grand Suite with the Extended Balcony for our May '15 cruise...can you tell us how the 2 compare?

We enjoyed a GS with the extended balcony on the Conquest. It was very nice and comfortable, but is tiny when compared to the OS on the Ecstasy.

My wife really enjoyed the extra space provided by the separate dressing room area right off of the bathroom in the GS.

I'm glad you enjoyed the OS slide show. I'm sure you will enjoy the GS.

Happy cruising!

$200m might be high, and looking the ship up, I see she is 23 years old, so my estimate of the refurbishment/technical would shift considerably to probably 65-75% technical. At this point in a ship's life, there are major inspections, hull thickness testing, structural steel replacements, and mechanical overhauls that drive the cost of drydocks up considerably, which is why most lines trade these older ships to lines with different demographics and profit margins. And that $275m in 1991 is equal to almost twice that today.

i absolutely and honestly appreciate your feedback - always (!) - in terms of technical information i consider you an amazing and reputable resource.

i take cause with this $200 million dry dock figure in this instance because it seems incredible and unrealistic for a relatively routine dry dock renovation.

to put it into perspective, per reported costs of varying scales:

refurbishment of the carnival triumph after the fire and 'poop cruise' - which included repairs, enhancement of systems and a high level of 'cosmetic' refurbishments cost $115 million. this also included numerous funship 2.0 enhancements.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/06/12/carnival-triumph-returns-to-galveston-to-re-enter-service-on-june-13/

entirely transforming carnival destiny into carnival sunshine, including addition of decks, renovation of nearly every public space, and all 2.0 features cost $155 million

http://carnival-news.com/2014/04/17/totally-transformed-carnival-sunshine-to-inaugurate-year-round-service-from-portcanaveral-april-17/

there is absolutely no way that the upgrades to the ecstasy could be considered of the same caliber or scale as to what was done to either of those ships, and they were rare in how extensive they were.

the cost for the 'evolutions of fun' for ALL 8 of the fantasy class ships, which included major upgrades, was marketed as a $250 million:

http://carnival-news.com/2008/01/28/carnival-fantasy-to-undergo-full-%E2%80%98evolutions-of-fun%E2%80%99-upgrades-this-fall/

that included major renovations, including the waterworks, addition of balconies to most of the class (ecstasy included), etc. at a cost of $250 million / 8 ships (although they didn't all get equal treatment) = $31.25 million each.

that said, i maintain there is absolutely no way that 'cosmetic refurbishments' and the 're-branding' of 2 bars on lido deck, or anything else technical they may do, would cost $200 million.

i realize that statement of the $275 million cost to build the ship (which is true as reported by ccl) does not account for inflation, etc. but i qualified that with the destiny -> sunshine example. and further above.

there is no way it is a $200 million refurbishment. :)

i absolutely and honestly appreciate your feedback - always (!) - in terms of technical information i consider you an amazing and reputable resource.

i take cause with this $200 million dry dock figure in this instance because it seems incredible and unrealistic for a relatively routine dry dock renovation.

to put it into perspective, per reported costs of varying scales:

refurbishment of the carnival triumph after the fire and 'poop cruise' - which included repairs, enhancement of systems and a high level of 'cosmetic' refurbishments cost $115 million. this also included numerous funship 2.0 enhancements.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/06/12/carnival-triumph-returns-to-galveston-to-re-enter-service-on-june-13/

entirely transforming carnival destiny into carnival sunshine, including addition of decks, renovation of nearly every public space, and all 2.0 features cost $155 million

http://carnival-news.com/2014/04/17/totally-transformed-carnival-sunshine-to-inaugurate-year-round-service-from-portcanaveral-april-17/

there is absolutely no way that the upgrades to the ecstasy could be considered of the same caliber or scale as to what was done to either of those ships, and they were rare in how extensive they were.

the cost for the 'evolutions of fun' for ALL 8 of the fantasy class ships, which included major upgrades, was marketed as a $250 million:

http://carnival-news.com/2008/01/28/carnival-fantasy-to-undergo-full-%E2%80%98evolutions-of-fun%E2%80%99-upgrades-this-fall/

that included major renovations, including the waterworks, addition of balconies to most of the class (ecstasy included), etc. at a cost of $250 million / 8 ships (although they didn't all get equal treatment) = $31.25 million each.

that said, i maintain there is absolutely no way that 'cosmetic refurbishments' and the 're-branding' of 2 bars on lido deck, or anything else technical they may do, would cost $200 million.

i realize that statement of the $275 million cost to build the ship (which is true as reported by ccl) does not account for inflation, etc. but i qualified that with the destiny -> sunshine example. and further above.

there is no way it is a $200 million

refurbishment. :)

Absolutely agree

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

Was just passing along the info that we were told. I do know they are opening up a lot of 'walls' and getting rid of a ton of rust on the interior. My person told me he can't believe the thing does not snap in half! (of course he is being a bit dramatic and does realize they ARE taking care of the rust...he was just surprised to SEE so much of it in the 'guts' of the ship). Also...conditions are not so great for the contractors - food gross and not so sanitary. And the contractors that were hired to work on board are not permitted to get on and off the ship so they have to eat what the ship is providing.

As I said, the $200m may be high, but I didn't say the "refurbishment" was going to be that much. I believe my last posted estimate was for 25-35% of the total, or $50-70m. If what the PP stated is accurate, and there are corrosion issues in areas where someone in the hotel department can see the repair work, there may be significant problems elsewhere, in the hull and tankage. And the tearing down of bulkheads in cabins and public spaces to repair structure behind it, would be in the "refurbishment" budget, even though it would only restore things to their original condition.

Remember, this ship will be getting not only the modification to the main generator cabling (as a result of the Triumph fire), but possibly the installation of the new "backup" generator to replace the CAT in the box up on deck. Those would be the technical "upgrades" that I know about. There may be quite a lot of other maintenance work being done, or even equipment renewal. I would suspect that the "upgrades" would be in the $10-15m range.

Heck, a 7-10 day dry docking for a tanker these days will run you more than a million. I have no idea what the technical budget or specification includes, and whether there is steel renewal in the hull involved. I was blindsided by photos of the Oasis getting a new engine last week, and while I'm still not sure if this was a warranty replacement (I've heard one source say that), an engine upgrade (possible) or the addition of a new engine (not likely IMHO, as her generating capacity is more than sufficient), but if RCI was paying for it (not a warranty issue), then that item alone would be $20-30m. They were even fined $3/4m, and the new solar panels were $3/4m. It all adds up fast. Probably not $200m, but it would be a significant chunk of change for a 23 year old ship.