Question about power strip to bring

eyzwdeshut

I have read several great suggestions about things to bring on the cruise. i have to admit one of the best was bringing a power strip for all the electrical things that might need to be charged. My question... can i bring your normal everyday power strip, or does it have to be something special? if so, can anyone give me details? TIA.

It can be a regular one - however if your hairdryer, charger ,etc. have those transformers at the plug end, you will be limited in the amount that you can plug in on a strip one. Usually you can only plug in about 3 or so appliances depending on the number of transformer plugs you use.

We got one that is round so that you can actually plug in 6 items with transformers. The only draw back is that the cord is 20 feet or more, so I just leave it coiled and tied.

The less I can take, the better, so I take a little adapter. It's very convenient, takes almost no room in luggage. It's about 3" long, has no cord, plugs into the wall socket in the cabin, and will serve two electrical appliances. 79 cents at WalMart.:)

I found a 3 outlet surge protector that gets plugged into a wall socket. Also GFCI, my camera charger, hair curler and laptop charger all will fit. It weighs just ounces and is small. I like the surge protection feature $3 at Albertsons on special.

We've taken the three receptacle type along and that has been just fine for us. We charge our batteries at night, don't use a computer or phone on the cruise, take a battery powered alarm clock (if we bother to bring one at all!). We actually can do without a power strip at all, for the most part.

When we're not charging an item, we don't leave it plugged in, we pack it up and put it away for the day. perhaps that is why people need more receptacles :confused: (just thinking to myself!). DH and I love to have a clutter-free cabin.

Does it have to have 2 prongs, or can it have 3?

I thought I read another cruiser say that only 2 prong ones would fit in the outlet. I will be on the Mariner on 9/18 and need to know if I can bring my 3-pronger, or if I need to buy a new one!

On our last cruise (Carnival Celebration) we took an adapter that had six outlets on it and plugged directly into the outlet at home but on the ship it didn't work. Just below the ships plug was a strip of metal (similar to a chair rail) that wouldn't allow my adapter to plug in. So I would take an adapter that had one plug with a cord that lead to several plugs. Anyway, hope this helps.:)

We just came off Adventure. Thanks to suggestions on these boards, we had taken a night light. Useless. Couldn't plug it in. The socket was very close to the dressing table top. It was also one of these three-prong directional types - i.e. one flat pin is wider than the other. Because of this, the night light would only go in upside down, even though it was two-pin. Except that there was not nearly enough clearance and it wouldn't go in at all. I would take a power cord that had at least two or three feet of cord.

We took our surge protector last time, but I agree with cotton, I am not lugging that again. We will just take a tiny adapter, if anything. There was a couple of times we had 3 things plugged in, (alarm clock, computer, camera charger). But I doubt we will lug the computer again either (we took it to upload our digital pictures so that we could clear out the camera daily) Live and learn!

Archived