Vietnam Ports - Chan May & Phu My

sashimijo

We are booked on Diamond Princess for Oct 22 sailing. We would like to know if there is any taxis or buses at 1) Chan May and 2) Phu May that we can hire? Or do we have to pre-arrange a private car to pick up at port gate? If so, approx how much is the fare? Also do we have to pay port fee at each port of call if we are on our own? The one place we want to see is Hoi An. All we need is the transportation to Hoi An, once there we can find our way. Thanks in advance for all information.

SS

We had a Vietnamese visa through the ship. We didn't have to send our passport ahead of time - just a special visa that we got onboard. We did have to pay a small fee ahead of time though.

Chan May port is in the middle of nowhere and quite a distance to Hoi An. We had a minivan pick us up and it drove us through Danang to Hoi An - about an hour or so. We had a rushed but pleasant trip to Hoi An. Others only went as far as Danang to the beach, had a massage, etc. We did enjoy Hoi An, but it was rushed. We also stopped in Danang on the way back to see a Cham sculpture museum.

Edited by Tansy Mews

We had a Vietnamese visa through the ship. We didn't have to send our passport ahead of time - just a special visa that we got onboard. We did have to pay a small fee ahead of time though.

Chan May port is in the middle of nowhere and quite a distance to Hoi An. We had a minivan pick us up and it drove us through Danang to Hoi An - about an hour or so. We had a rushed but pleasant trip to Hoi An. Others only went as far as Danang to the beach, had a massage, etc. We did enjoy Hoi An, but it was rushed. We also stopped in Danang on the way back to see a Cham sculpture museum.

Thanks Tansy Mews.

Did you pre-arrange for the pickup or did you find the van at the Chan May port?

Phu My is also in the middle of nowhere. It is an industrial port no taxis. We arranged all our touring transport through Stephen of Private Vietnam tours. I got prices from a few companies and they were the most reasonable. If you are able to walk about 300 metres don't pay to be picked up in the port. Others will tell you to pay this fee, it depends if you are able to walk that far and it will be hot. For me it's an unessarcery cost. They charge per person per port. Just follow the buses to the gate. I paid a deposit prior to our cruise and paid the rest in USD at our first Vietnam port. We were very happy with the guides and drivers. Hope this helps Jennifer

Edited by SWANOZ