Camera question?

anno

I remember on our last cruise that when I left the cabin with my camera to take pictures the camera would fog up. I know its from the temperture change but has anyone figured out how to prevent this from happening.

I don't want to miss any great sunsets because of the fog!!:rolleyes:

I didn't have this problem with my digital camera this time around, but I did have this problem with my video camera last time around.

I was able to work around it by removing the battery and then reinstalling it. I can only guess that when I would turn it on at first, the sensors new that there was more condensation than last time, so shut down. After removing the battery, the sensors would zero out at a higher level of condensation and when it was powered back up, it didn't sense a change, so therfore all is ok.

Of course this theory could be a pipe dream also. All I do know is that by removing the battery and reinstalling it, they video camera would work. And the videos were ok.

There are anti-fog sprays available. Or you could just set your cabin thermostat to 90 degrees, so your camera won't be so cold (colder object meets warmer moist air, condensation forms, see the outside of my beer can for an example.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=357586&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I've never had that problem with my 35mm or digital cameras, but........

I got expert advice on this a coupla years ago. My camcorder would shut itself off as soon as I got in the heat, with a msg.'dew detected'. Solution:

While the camera is in the cabin, keep it wrapped in a handtowel, then in it's bag or in a drawer. Don't take it out until just before you're leaving the cabin. That way, it will have time to do a gradual change of temp before going up to deck where it's SO much warmer.

I've never had that problem with my 35mm or digital cameras, but........

I got expert advice on this a coupla years ago. My camcorder would shut itself off as soon as I got in the heat, with a msg.'dew detected'. Solution:

While the camera is in the cabin, keep it wrapped in a handtowel, then in it's bag or in a drawer. Don't take it out until just before you're leaving the cabin. That way, it will have time to do a gradual change of temp before going up to deck where it's SO much warmer.

Exactly as I've heard and done. Since I've started doing this, no problems with the moisture error or my lens fogging up.

I would never leave my camera on the balcony-- First off they spray water on some balconies to keep off salt.

I keep my video camera in a heavy insulated bag.. and wrap it in a towel. Never once did we have a problem with condensation. If you leave the camera on the counter and want to go out and take a picture tight away-- that will be a problem.

I have a heavily padded camera bag that will insulate the camera somewhat. Unfortunately the bag will not fit inside the safe where my camera lives when not in use. The last cruise, I put the camera in the bathroom with the door closed and all lights on. About 30 minutes were needed to warm the camera. Next time I will take along a 7watt nightlight and extention cord to put inside the bag prior to use. I will have to remember to remove it from the safe early. The only other option, previously mentioned, is to turn off the air conditioning. I don't see Terri agreeing on that one.

I have a heavily padded camera bag that will insulate the camera somewhat. Unfortunately the bag will not fit inside the safe where my camera lives when not in use. The last cruise, I put the camera in the bathroom with the door closed and all lights on. About 30 minutes were needed to warm the camera. Next time I will take along a 7watt nightlight and extention cord to put inside the bag prior to use. I will have to remember to remove it from the safe early. The only other option, previously mentioned, is to turn off the air conditioning. I don't see Terri agreeing on that one.

I know it's only a night light....but please reconsider.....the bulbs get warm and we don't want fires aboard the Ship !

I have heard of people taking along a heating pad to set the camera on, but I don't know if that is a good idea either.

x

I have heard of people taking along a heating pad to set the camera on, but I don't know if that is a good idea either.

Carnival's written policy:

"The use of irons, heating pads, and candles in the staterooms is not allowed."

Carnival's written policy:

"The use of irons, heating pads, and candles in the staterooms is not allowed."

Well......I said, I did not know if it's a good idea.....

Guess that space heater with the frayed cord is out of the picture also....:rolleyes:

Archived