MDR Portion Sizes

Catbiri2

Greetings All,

Is there a way to get smaller portions in the main dining rooms? I don't eat a lot, and yet feel bad when there is food left over on my plate. I want to be able to try things though! I know I don't have to order all three courses each time I sit down for dinner, but I also know from past experiences that the servers think that something is wrong if you don't order one item from each course and also if you don't eat it all!

Thanks for any and all responses :)

Greetings All,

Is there a way to get smaller portions in the main dining rooms? I don't eat a lot, and yet feel bad when there is food left over on my plate. I want to be able to try things though! I know I don't have to order all three courses each time I sit down for dinner, but I also know from past experiences that the servers think that something is wrong if you don't order one item from each course and also if you don't eat it all!

Portions are a lot smaller than they used to be on most ships. They give the same size to all. I usually ask for no starch, i.e. potatoes, rice and get (sometimes) double veggies if I like the particular veggies enough.

Just enjoy what you can eat.:)

Edited by UandMe4Ever

NEVER, EVER feel bad about leaving something on your plate...on a ship, or at home! That's what makes you fat...eating more than you need.

The food is already prepared....either they throw out what's on your plate, or they throw out what's in the pot in the kitchen....NEVER eat more than you want! And, your NEVER need to "apologize" to your waiter for anything....or explain....just say, "No, thanks"...that's all!

Edited by cb at sea

The kitchen can't really do on the fly requests, as they're pretty much like a factory back there, just churning out plate upon plate. I've tried before to get part of one dish and part of another, and the waiter said he'd just bring each full meal and let me have what I wanted from each. Sometimes they can make small changes but it's best to assume they won't be able to, or that it could really slow down your dinner service.

I can't eat much either, and both on the ship and landside it can be embarrassing when the waiter gets concerned that I don't like something. (I can assure you, if I don't like something, I will say!) I always just say thank you, it was very good, I really enjoyed it, and I've had enough. That gets rid of all but the most sensitive of servers. If that's not working, I just say I'm saving room for dessert - and that takes care of the rest!

You could also consider just having an appetiser for your main meal - but maybe that's more that I tend to enjoy appetisers more than main courses!

Almost all portion sizes I found to be moderate, (about right to maybe a bit on the skimpy side). But this is OK, you can always ask for more. Or in the OP's case, just be fine with the smaller portions. For example, I noticed on the first meal, whenever there were mashed potatoes, I was left wanting. For the rest of the cruise I ordered meals that had mashed potatoes with double mashed potatoes. Was not a problem.

I ask to sub sides from one entree to another and haven't had a problem, one night I had a plate of 3 sides without a main entree. If you don't want to waste food you should be able to ask for smaller portions or to not include.

Might it take a little longer if it is outside of the regular assembly line.. probably.. but not something that they can't do.

Dear Catbiri2,

Yes your able to too. Ask if your wait staff is good they will blige your request.

If not your SOL ( sorry out of luck) and find better wait staff which cares more for any/all of your request(s).

Yes size does matter.

Greetings All,