Prescription bottles

momtodogs

I take a lot of prescribed medications, and so does my father. I usually fill one of the medisets with a weeks worth of pills at a time. 7-day cruise = full mediset. Right????

However, I am reading that I must bring the actual prescription bottles. Is this correct? I'd really rather not fill up my carry-on with that much bulky stuff. :(

Also, in the same vein, can I put over-the-counter pills (bonine, tylenol, etc.) into smaller (labeled by me) containers?

I'm not sure if you HAVE to bring the original bottles, but it possibly could help you avoid having to answer questions in Customs. Also, I guess if you run out for some reason, you can show the ship's doc exactly what prescription you have.

I've always taken my meds in weekly boxes, and I've never had a problem. If we're flying, I always bring a couple of extra days' worth, in case we get delayed.

Same here and I have never had a problem.

At one time, I took my Rx bottles because I thought that was required. However, on the last few cruises, I've taken the little medi-box, and have had no problem.

I think a problem could arise if, for instance, you had loose pills with you while in MX or another port, and were stopped for some reason. Just leave them on the ship.:)

Mom,

I'm wondering if a pharmacist could provide you with a bottle that has all your labels on it. You must know your medicines by sight real well. We mix all 3 prescriptions in the one bottle and take just that one bottle along. I just had to wait until all 3 of my prescriptions ran out and I put 2 labels on the 3rd bottle. That way I had all 3 labels on just one bottle. Then each morning I pull out one of each medicine and take it. I don't know exactly how many prescriptions you take, but if you're like my mom and she was up to 10 when she had her pacemaker put in, then my solution might not work. If you take along your mediset, you can doll out each prescription when you get on the ship. Hope I helped you.

My father is a pharmacist & he has offered to do this for me (don't know if that's special treatment or not). worth a try to ask. i hate lugging all my bottles around since they take up lots more room in the suitcase too, but it's better to be safe than sorry these days.

I would think that it would depends on how many meds are taken, and the size of the bottles.

Why don't you ask your pharmacist if he could print out the labels for you, just the basic info, drug name, how often, name of pharmacy. And place the labels on a sheet of paper. That way, you have the proof if need, yet not all of the bottles. You can place the paper in a ziploc bag, and tape it to the pill box.

Don't know if it can be done, but it would be worth a try.

Jly

Problem is that many of us now get our scripts through the mail in large 3 month supplies. I've never taken the original bottles and have never had a problem. I also never have to take them off the ship and when the cruise is over so are most, if not all of my pills. When we go to Europe next year I do plan to get my doctor to provide me with a set of prescriptions for my meds just in case, I think.

I'm not positive what the actual *rules* are regarding this, but here is our experience:

Hal takes a number of meds due to a heart attack 5 years ago, 7 Rx and 4 non-RX, daily. He puts all his meds in one of those daily doser things, we have one that holds 2 weeks of meds. It OBVIOUSLY takes up far less room in the luggage than 11 pill/vitamin bottles and is definitely more convenient.

I take daily meds for a few medical conditions, asthma included, so the medi-dose thing is not an option for those. I also take meds for other stuff after having 2 back surgeries and some other medical conditions, and we were informed on our last cruise, that if you take *controlled* meds, you must have the original Rx bottle and if you are taking any pills off the ship with you in a port, you have to *declare* it (with customs?? Could be wrong, it was with *someone* on the ship, sorry, can't remember the specifics) to take it off the ship - as in having it with you on shore if you have to take meds at certain times around the clock. I personally had no problem with it.

My thoughts - and these are just MY thoughts - would be that if you take any controlled meds, bring the original prescription bottle with those - just to cover your butt, and for anything else, use the medi-dose things. I'm sure the reason for this is to avoid your being suspected of obtaining illegal, controlled drugs, such as narcotics, etc., while in port.

For the official *rules*, contact your TA or cruise line, if you are really concerned about it.

Karen

Archived