anyone rented a jeep to just drive where ever in the city?

WonderousBlue

Yes, there are car rental places, but most people don't rent a car unless they are going to tour the island. You definitely don't need a car to get around town. Walking is fine and there are plenty of busses and taxis to get you a little out of town to Seven Mile Beach, Hell and the Turtle Farm, things like that. I wouldn't want to be driving around town if I didn't have to. It can be busy (and on the left!!).

So if you are looking to explore the island, then it's recommended, but not just for going around town.

• 2 weeks later...
Coming back will be a zoo. Many people coming back to make sure they are getting on a tender to the ships.

Unless you are the only ship in port-- I would reconsider renting a vehilce

As previous posters have indicated, renting a vehicle to get around the downtown and Seven Mile Beach areas is absolutely NOT the way to go.

You tender right into downtown, so everything there is just a short walk away. For the beach, it will take you longer to go get the car and come back than it would to just take a taxi or bus to the beach, and it will probably be more expensive to rent a car, too. Also, parking is not great in some areas, so finding a spot to park could use up a lot of your touring time.

Turtle Farm, if you're just doing that one stop, I'd probably taxi it. Even Turtle Farm & Hell, a taxi is still probably going to be a better arrangement, and you can likely cut a deal with the driver for a flat rate mini-town-tour of some kind.

If you want to go outside of George Town, say to East End, Pedro St James, the botanical gardens or Rum Point, then a rental car is a must.

We have rented a car to go to Rum Point. Once you get out of the main part of Georgetown, there is virtually no traffic to speak of. I do not remember specifically where we rented, but we did give ourselves plenty of time to get back to town and return the vehicle.......of course the tender line at that point was unbelievable, but otherwise it was fine, and Rum Point was worth the hassle. Think we are going to do the same on our next cruise.

We have rented a car to go to Rum Point. Once you get out of the main part of Georgetown, there is virtually no traffic to speak of. I do not remember specifically where we rented, but we did give ourselves plenty of time to get back to town and return the vehicle.......of course the tender line at that point was unbelievable, but otherwise it was fine, and Rum Point was worth the hassle. Think we are going to do the same on our next cruise.

Yes, you'd definitley need a driver or a rental car to go to Rum Point, but not for driving around Georgetown.